Right of passage Samples

chefboyali

Waddup FP nation, I need some help from some of the more seasoned beat makers over here. I'm new to this producing shit and I got some serious newbie frustration going on. I tend to get overwhelmed by most samples, what I need is some samples with training wheels so the speak. Basically samples that are "easy" to flip. I heard Italian soundtracks are a good place to start. I would appreciate if someone could link some samples that are newbie proof, something I could use to get started with. What did you guys start with?

What's easy is subjective as people tend to like different type of samples and it also depends on the preferred techniques. I would say that the https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ques/flip/fp-flip-beat-battle-vol-3-a-472014/ sample number two's intro is rather easy to get into as it is solo piano that is being played in a way that makes chopping it into cohesive bits easy..

But in general I would say just flip samples that seem dope to you and you will eventually find the ways you prefer working with while honing your skills. I think I started mainly by sampling soul and funk, usually intros. But that was mostly because it was my first focus on buying records (and still is one of my record collecting focuses) before I started expanding to other stuff.

i agree with jyri, just sample what sounds dope to you. in the beginning i'ts all about try & error.. and suddenly something dope comes out.
if you really have no clue look on whosampled.com what samples your favorite artists used. try to remake the beat just for practice or use the samples to make a beat that sounds even doper to you.

Don't waste your time trying to use a sample thats been used a million times or remaking beats by another producer.Basically,stay away from whosampled and look into instrumental tracks like
piano or sax (etc)these types of tracks will basically just be open instrumentation with very little drums so you can get a ton of chops without having to chop around drums.Same thing
with Soundtracks and scores(to movies)

It'll help you learn to chop and you'll be able to get more chops which will lead to more ways to
use/manipualte the sample.

Peace

Last edited:
Don't waste your time trying to use a sample thats been used a million times
If the sample has been used won't really matter if he is practing, and even after that some people don't seem to care these days. And remakes seem to have worked for some people here but they won't really help develop your own style so I would advice against that as a primary means of training as SoulGhost did.

its a lot of time, trial, and error until you develop your style.
id say study how some of your favorite producers sample and use pieces and elements from them all to develop a rhythm.
its no formula to music, its a feeling

Back