Staff member
UNSIGNED ARTIST FORUM
-> SONG REVIEW
Monday, 24th September 2000

Author: Manuel Clement

----------------------------------------------------
Artist name: DJ Chriss
Song name: Energy
Link to download the MP3 file: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/144/chriss_sonic.html

DJ Chriss comes up again with another Trance tune. Very punchy as its name says "enery". The listener is carried along the whole song by different variations of happy melodic lines and very symbolic trance beats.

Seeing the evolution from Creep (a song released by DJ Chriss before "Energy"), he is getting better. Creep had too much dream-robertmiles-xfiles going on, Energy reminds me more of highly-energic-german-trance.

While listening to it, I got a few images in my mind: people laughing together at a bar; people having fun on the dancefloor; crowd jumping up and down :)

Energy is well constructed with moments of "suspense" and melodies which all gather together at the end of the track before the final sfx which fades away with reverb.

So I give an overall high five to DJ Chriss for the first track I really enjoy from him: Energy.

Manuel Clement / onlineDJ.com

NOTE: Feel free to reply to this topic with your own 2 cents about this particular song.

Thank you for the words so far. Hope some more people will post their thoughts.

About "Creep": It is strange, but many people prefer it over Energy. Maybe it has a little more Club sound wich appeals to people from The States and UK, while "Energy" has a more "european" sound and feel wich is better soothed for rave parties.
I dont know.

I downloaded the track, tried to read it, but it wasn't working...grrr...did someone had problems like that ?

Still have the problem? It works fine for me both on Xing, Winamp and the annoying blue windows thingie in my systray.

This is closer to the European Dance sounds I heard in the dance clubs in Spain- but a lot more earthy. Maybe it was the breaks where the 4 on the floor kick dropped out and the sounds just danced on their own?? But the standard almost cliche'd snare rolls came in took me back to the dance track reality. I like the click sound counter melody at the end- that was different.

Bottom line- Rumps will shake when this track is played.
There is definitely some funk on it. A good sign of a great dance track is when you can make a baby dance. And the toddlers are doing headspins and windmills right now.

Nice track DJ Chris (but i think you knew that!!)

Thank you for the words FunkyG!
Yes, I feel really good about this track.
Anyway I really feel that response from the crowd is the most important thing. And I hope more people will lay their 2 cents.

Not my thing but I think you did a good job creating some NRG and :D I would shake my groove thing to it on the dance floor.

funny mano

I pictured the same things listening to this... makes me want to goto a club and dance... Very nice... Must be the 4th time ive heard this song... its very nice Chriss....

Well this time it works, and I'm actually listening to it ! hehehe
Well I'm not much into Trance for home listening, but nice track man !
I like the melodic theme after the break...well I think you should work again on your break, I think you lost too much the pressure, maybe try some pad with panning effects, and I think you could do the end a little bit more punchy, and a big reverb on your last kick, maybe some arpegs fading out in echos too !

My 2 cts Man ! :)

I'll try to have a listen to your other tracks next time !

Thank you guys, and thanks for the critic Nook. Does good!

I have one thing I'm a bit tired of in trance and that is pompous pads, but I too think that the break should be a little more in-line with the rest of the tune. I'm working on that.

Actually, the way I'm trying to make a little difference is that I'm trying to cut off the pads and long synths. I think that generally, they're cool, but they've all been overused. It must be possible to make a good trance tune without the pads.

I think that instead of making some panning pads, I'll make some SFX or FX-Vocals instead on the break part. Then I'll also do some reworking of the first part to make it more smooth.

And you're rigth. The ending could be alot better. I'll take a look at it.

Back