requesting opinion on Specs for new laptop. there is more to the story, please see..

dksucharda

I recently received $1000 gift certificate to best buy. Research recommended that I get a computer with 8 GB of memory, and I 7 processor, and 500GB to 1TB hard drive, as well as 2-3 3.0 USB ports. they worsen other less important recommended specs, however this symptoms up the basic information of what I was looking for any computer. On the best by website I became interested in a ASUS n-56, for $939, but unfortunately there are no longer able to get these through Best Buy. So this got me thinking, what are the recommended specs for protools. looking on the website protocols requires a minimum of 2 GB and recommends 4 gigabytes. Therefore, I began to think that maybe I could find a different computer with only 6 GB that had room for expansion to possibly 12 GB. I know how easy it is and she did is had new ram. The big difference however, would be stepping down to and I 5 chip. My big question, is if this is still a reasonably decent chip for use in protools? My main interest in doing this is being able to spend less money on a computer ( maybe around $700) and have money left over to by a decent MIDI controller (maybe the Maudio axiom for $299) which they also s.ell at Best Buy. Getting a computer with these specs also means greater access to window 7 which is what pro tools 10 is optimize to be used with. I have heard how much different windows 8 is been window 7 and I may want windows 7 anyway. As you can see, there is a little more to this question than what specks should I gave him a new laptop.

It is also worth mentioning, time completely new to music recording and essentially have no experience. At least for the foreseeable future my recording consist of 8 tracks at the very most. Most the time it will be 3 or 4. I mentioned this, because I assume he will decrease my need for a screaming fast, computer. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

OK for starters that is one long post. second of all, I probably wont use Dragon voice recognition again, as there are so many mistakes in there its hard to make sense of many of the sentences. SORRY!!! The short version is this. If using protools which avid reccomends 4 gigs of RAM and I am only recording 1 track at a time. and am in total only recording 4 tracks arent I ok with a 6 gig of ram. especially one that can be increased to 8. Lastly the i7 vs i5 chip. I can get a 3rd generation i5 chip, which still seems pretty up to date. purchasing a computer with these specs would allow me to then also purchase a $200-$300 MIDI keyboard, which I really want as it would allow me to start doing most of what I want to do immediately. Again, sorry for the above post. no wonder no one answered. hope this more simplified version helps. thanks.

Back