Request review, will return favour!

D

Drax

Yo!
I just posted a Simulated-Live Trance set on my mp3.com site...
Orion Foundation
Live @ Talus 4 (Part 1-4)
It's best in Hi-fi...

Any one care to review it?
I'll return the favour!
:D

total crap!! j/k

that is really incredible that you can simulate a crowd so well like that. Very impressive. I couldn't even tell where the crowd noise loops, quite seemless. One recommendation I have would be to maybe use a calmer crowd noise during the calmer parts of the track, or in the beginning at least, and then bring it loud when the kick/bassline drops. You sure that's fake?

Not only the live tracks, but all of your other ones (that I listened to) sound very unique.

I have a few questions for you:

1) You seem to have the genres down. Can you give me a 1 or 2 sentence description of each (melodic trance, progressive trance, goa. . .etc.) and differentiate

2) Let say I want to buy your cd. If I get it from mp3.com, they take a cut and it is a cd burned from mp3's right? If that is the case, can I send you a check/money order for a cd of the original(better sounding) tracks?

3) What progs/gear do you use?

4) How long you been doing this?

5) How did you get the echoey sounds and the crowd noises?

thanks

Wow, so many questions!
First of all, Thanks for suspending your disbelief long enough to listen.
I know what you mean about the crowd noise levels... I'm still debating changing that.
And now Q&A:

1) You seem to have the genres down. Can you give me a 1 or 2 sentence description of each (melodic trance, progressive trance, goa. . .etc.) and differentiate?
- Do I ??? I'm always trying to figure this genre stuff out myself. I do know (or believe to understand)
Hard Trance = hard driving beat as the focus + building til it can take no more then dropping out into a trippy effect OR leveling off for dancability only to explode later + background effects... and... uhhh...
I'll get back to you on this one.

2) Let say I want to buy your cd. If I get it from mp3.com, they take a cut and it is a cd burned from mp3's right? If that is the case, can I send you a check/money order for a cd of the original(better sounding) tracks?
- As far as I know the CD is burned from the original MP3 you send them. And since they only accept 44,100 Khz 128 Kbit encoded MP3s... that's what you get. Personally I've never encoded in anything higher than that. I don't think the human ear can detect anything higher than that. 96 Kbit sucks but 160 doesn't sound any better than 128 to me?
The CD you get from MP3.com will have a nice shiny cover, but the CD you will get from me will have crayon drawings and beer and pizza stains. :D
Let me know what you prefer.

3) What progs/gear do you use?
- My secrets are revealed!
All done on my computer using Fruity Loops, Cool Edit 2000, ACID... mmmm... ACID and the crappy mic and 16-bit sound card that came with the computer. I sometimes wear a salad strainer on my head to simulate an echo chamber... ;)

4) How long you been doing this?
- Almost three years, but the first year was wasted on Dark Alternative stuff that reeks of lo-fi smeg. My site only has material from the past year and a bit on it.

5) How did you get the echoey sounds and the crowd noises?
- Echoes courtesy of a combo of Fruity Loops effects and Cool Edit processing. I love to tweak!
Crowd noise courtesy of the Internet... then cross-fading them together to make them continuos and processing them to make them sound "Bigger"!

-----------------------------------
Question for you...

Where can I hear your music? Went to your site but couldn't find the link!?

:cool:
Drax
Orion Foundation

answer for you. . .

-I've only been at this for a few months. Up until a few weeks ago, I was lowly loop arranger courtesy of Acid (and some shrooms) Recently, I found a crusty ole' Yamaha radio shack keyboard, and figured out how to control Reason with it. Even more recently I found out that I can control other Reason parameters with my Numark EM460.

Currently, I am in the "experimentation" phase, trying to figure out what I (and my progs) can do. I am working on 5 or 6 tracks right now, but I would say I am at least a month away from publishing/posting anything. Also, I am trying to divide my time between producing and putting a mix cd together (aka. I'm lazy)

That's amazing that you don't use fancy-shmancey groove boxes/ synths/ midi-controllers and other gadgets. You give me a lot of faith in soft-synth production.

I think this is (one of my) problem(s). I will start building a track, usually with the drums, or a movin bassline. . .and then start building phrases from there. What ends up happening is I will get to a point where I feel I need to add a new pattern/sound/melody and I either get stuck/annoyed or I end up wanting to change the original bassline to fit this new thing and then I swear at God, and drop kick my laptop.

Do you recommend a certain sequence of things to run through? i.e. build the whole song/groove in one 2/4/8 measure phrase and then sequence it out into a song? (hopefully, I'm making sense) Can you take me (us) through your sequence?

Also you mentioned floops and acid. You can't really go back and forth between the two, can you? My assumption is that you design something in floops, export it to a wav file, import that wav file into Acid and then work your magic, correct? The changes/edits that you make in Acid are not reflected in floops, right? Where does the final track come out of? floops, Acid, CE2k

salad strainer, huh? well since I consider myself an innovator, and not an immotator I think I will start using a metal bucket for my echoey tracks

oh, and keep the genre defn's comin', pahtnah. I find it more accurate to hear 'em from people that make 'em, and not schmoes that merely listen to 'em

Back