Remaking 6Lack's "Tit For Tat": My Musical Analysis

RIK-E

This is my first blog post here. I've taken on the exciting challenge of remaking a significant portion of the beat for 6Lack's "Tit For Tat" and compiling a report on some of the song's musical aspects.

I hope you enjoy reading and listening to my project. I'm considering creating more content like this in the future, potentially delving even deeper into the music. Your feedback and support mean a lot to me, so please let me know if this is something you'd like to see more of.

Thank you

Introduction​

Welcome to this in-depth breakdown of 6lack's song "Tit for Tat," where we will explore the composition and music theory behind this captivating track. By analyzing the musical elements at play, we can gain a deeper understanding of how the song is constructed. "Tit for Tat" showcases 6lack's unique blend of R&B and hip-hop influences while delving into themes of love, relationships, and the dynamics of give-and-take. Through this breakdown, we will uncover the intricacies of the song's structure, chord progressions and other musical elements that contribute to its overall sound and impact.

Song Structure​

The song follows a lose structure, where the chorus almost comes in like a small hint at moment. The verse sections are in focus here. The arrangment can be visualized as follows:

Song Structure

• Intro verse: 8 bars
  • Verse: 6 bars
  • Pre-chorus: 2 bars
  • Chorus: 4 bars
  • Breakdown verse: 4 bars
  • Verse 2: 2 bars
  • Pre-chorus: 2 bars
  • Bridge: 4 bars
  • C section + outro: 8 bars

Music Theory Analysis​

Let's dive into the music theory elements used in "Tit for Tat" and explore key signature, chord progressions, melody, rhythm, and more.

Key Signature​

The song is in Ab Lydian mode, which gives it a unique tonal color and contributes to its distinct sound.

Chord Progressions​

The chord progression in "Tit for Tat" follows the pattern: I - I - I - I vi - iii - iii - iii - iii. This progression creates a sense of stability and resolution while incorporating subtle variations to keep the listener engaged.

image.png

Instrumentation and Arrangement​

The instrumentation and arrangement play a crucial role in shaping the overall sound of the song. Let's take a closer look at the instruments used and their roles:

Instruments Used​

• Piano: The piano plays the main harmony, providing a pulsating rhythm on every beat (1-2-3-4).
  • Synth bass: A long detuned reese bass holds the root note of the chords, creating a drone-like foundation for the song.
  • Lead synth: An analog-sounding synth adds depth to the composition by playing a counter melody to the lead vocal, incorporating glide notes for added expressiveness.
  • Drums: The drums have a modern trap sound, but the hi-hats follow a more traditional hip-hop pattern, blending different styles seamlessly.

Drum Pattern​

The drum pattern in "Tit for Tat" is characterized by its modern trap elements, with the hi-hats adding a touch of traditional hip-hop influence. Here is an example of the drum pattern:

Drum Pattern

By carefully arranging and layering these instruments, the desired sound of "Tit for Tat" is achieved, combining R&B and hip-hop elements in a cohesive and captivating manner.

In conclusion, this breakdown has provided valuable insights into the composition and music theory behind 6lack's song "Tit for Tat." By examining the song structure, key signature, chord progressions, and instrumentation, we have gained a deeper understanding of the musical elements at play. "Tit for Tat" is a testament to 6lack's artistry and showcases his ability to blend genres seamlessly.

Last edited:
Back