recommend me a needle

Figgy1682

im sure you get these questions all the time but i hope mines is a little different. i need a good needle for sampling and the occasional scratch work. i have a ns7 so if i ned to scratch ill use that but some times you sample from a record and you want to scratch from there instead of transfering it to digtal then serato. the needle needs to produce a good true sound. my pop is a old school dj and he says stanton 500s are the right needle for both, then i showed him these http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/40/22/19397.html

and he says he still thinks the stantons are better. so for the producer/dj that knows please help me out.

ortofon are perfect for sampling but I wouldn't really scratch with them...

stanton TS-55..or something...I had for scratching. Pretty good.

I don't know much about scratching but I am heavily into sampling and no matter what you hear...you shouldn't really need to pay over $400 for a needle or get a TT made of ivory and floating on speckled eggs and all that minimalist looking ****...

I need a new needle after breaking mine.

I'm not gonna scratch anymore. I was always awful

500's were the best like 20 years ago.

I love my M44G's for sampling and scratching. My roommate and I both rock em and they track almost as well as an M447, but the sound is a lot better.

Ortofon's are really good for both. The best of both worlds I'd say would be to get the headshell mounting Arkiv's (so NOT the concorde ones) as they will have all the quality of Ortofon needles, so perfect for sampling, but also because they are headshell mountable, you can change the angle to make them sit in the groove better.

I'm using the Ortofon Q-Bert's and they have worked brilliantly for both sampling and scratching.

A scratch needle and needle dedicated for playback are two different things. The frequency band will vary greatly between the two. Your gonna have to compromise. The Stantion 800El (I think EL was the suffix) is great for playback and archiving. If I could recommed a needle that would do both, I would recommend Nightclubs on a Technics headshell.

Read the frequency specifications for each needle or else you'll end of will some bull****.

how often do you guys change out the cartridge? debating whether or not to stick with my m44s or move to something new...

There are a lot a variables to consider.

- Tracking weight
- amount of scratch time, if any
- amount of usage
- quality factor

I can hear/see when I need to change needles out. The gain will need to be increased to make of for worn needles. Songs will start sounding flat. Bass will be weak.

Back