Reason 5/Record to use vsts couldn't you simply?

richie09

I know the big beef with Reason over the years has been it doesn't take vsts and couldn't record vocals, well Propellerheads Record fixed that problem! But still it doesn't allow vsts. I love Reason, i've been using Reason 4 for a minute but after using Reason for years I can easily get stuck with the factory sounds and refills I have. I mean I have downloaded some freeware vsts with some creative sounds that i'd love to use with Reason. I don't have Record but the neptunes thing looks pretty nice and the fact that I can add vocals to my reason beats! So in a couple of weeks I want to buy Reason 5/Record 1.5! I see you can buy the bundle for a little under $400. Cool, but I have to be able to use some vsts, so I'm wondering........I have a desktop computer that I use for Reason. Couldn't I say, buy a laptop or another desktop computer--use it for my vsts and plug it in my main computer (where Record 1.5 will be) like its a guitar or mic input and therefore get the sounds from my vsts into Reason/Record? Again, since you can record vocals in Propellerhead Record, couldn't I buy a separate computer/laptop plug the audio out into the audio in of the computer with Record on it and use vsts in Reason/Record? If anyone has done such a thing is it all good, or will sound quality be drastically decreased, what are the pros and cons? Also do you see me spending $400 for Reason 5 and Record 1.5 is the best investment to make. I have so many beats made in Reason, but when I pass out my cds people aren't calling me back. I feel a big reason is there's no vocals on the songs, so artist don't really know where to go with the music.

I'm not 100% sure on what Record is actually about, I had a demo version some time back and wasn't impressed, the effects were virtually the same as Reason 4. This was before Record 1.5 came out. But, other than putting vocals down I didn't see the benefits since no vsts were allowed. I've tried rewiring (rewire) with tracktion and its been a headache and i'm not thrilled with the sound, so that's why I'm thinking about getting record 1.5. Thanks

That would be a whole lot of hassle (talking about using a separate laptop) when solutions like soundflower exist.

But a question. What freeware VSTs in specific are you talking about? You said about using the factory soundbank and refills but maybe you should start getting into designing your own sounds.

Buddy above me^ is exactly on point.
i synth engineer in reason 5 and it has not only improved my productions skills since i started doing it (in Reason 4) but i understand how a lot of sounds where created as well.

Put it this way, since i started designing sounds, i won't even look at or use refills anymore. Of course here and there i will use pre-made patches but only if its NNXT because it has more natural sounds/instruments that i can't make unless i spend countless hours sampling and altering it. And to convince you even more, every Refill you have ever used was engineered on reason so why not take the next step in learning how to create your own sounds/instruments.

If you want to get into using VST's/VST-I, i would highly suggest you start using another DAW program cause reason and record don't use plug ins (which means Record 1.5 is out of the picture for plug ins). This doesn't mean you have to stop using reason, it just means your going to have to learn how to rewire it as a slave program. (This way, you can keep all your RSN files, and expand your limitations with the luxury of plug ins!)

But if you ever want to learn some interesting tutorial tips on how to create your own sounds on Reason, youtube "Dj Lucky Date" and go to his channel. Its has a lot of electro stuff but it will defiantly help you learn a lot!

great and thanks for all the responses, but i'm not designing sounds right now.....i just want to continue my work flow and go!

also Terror, it looks like soundflower is for mac's i have 2 pc's a desktop and laptop.

I have a laptop and extra midi keyboard, can't I buy the reason/record 1.5 bundle and play vsts from my laptop to the audio input on my desktop (where record 1.5 will be)?

Will the sound quality drop?

The laptop I have is 2ghz dual core, running windows 7, with 3gb of ram. My desktop is a dual core intel running xp with 3gb of ram. Do y'all see any conflicts with latency? I do know sometimes running reason when i use a lot of effects and appreg's i can get some latency issues, so me adding record+4 or 5 audio tracks + neptune do you think my desktop could keep up?

Thanks

What i do sometimes is just Rex the Sequences after Rewire and slap them in the dr.ocx player
record is basically an ssl mixer w/ real time streaching & pitch shifting with audio takes
its good for working around songs and vocals. i work with alot of samples and i can tell you
its worth it. i paid 220? i belieave.

if you don't have reason you won't see the effects record integrated into record.

i own record and it pretty much worth the money IMO.
im corrently trying to get my hands on reason and yes if you do get reason get record .
if its not pirated, get the bundle duo, if you got a registered version of reason get the Record upgrade!

First off thanks again for all the replies! I purchased Reason 6 the other day! I don't have a mac so the soundflower app wont work for me. Sorry i'm just not into sound design right now. But, since R6 allows audio recording, i plugged a chord in the headphone jack of my laptop (where my vsts are) and plugged the other end into the mic input on my m-audio (desktop where R6 is). The sound is horrible and off time.............I do have an old emu-0202 in storage. Would the sound from my laptop sound better if I hooked up the emu-0202 to it or is this just not going to work (far as the vsts sounding good). I wont go get the audio interface (emu-0202) out of storage if you guys don't think it'll make a difference because i'll have to do a lot of digging to find it.......................

What i do sometimes is just Rex the Sequences after Rewire and slap them in the dr.ocx player
record is basically an ssl mixer w/ real time streaching & pitch shifting with audio takes
its good for working around songs and vocals. i work with alot of samples and i can tell you
its worth it. i paid 220? i belieave.

if you don't have reason you won't see the effects record integrated into record.

i own record and it pretty much worth the money IMO.
im corrently trying to get my hands on reason and yes if you do get reason get record .
if its not pirated, get the bundle duo, if you got a registered version of reason get the Record upgrade!

So what your saying is I should just play some sounds in say tracktion 3 (that's the only daw I have). Import the songs using Rex/Dr.Octo and incorporate like that in R6? I've done something like that in the past, recorded songs without drums in Tracktion 3 using my vsts then imported the wav in nnxt. Unfortunately, I had helluv timing issues and sound quality always seemed........slightly blurry, workable but not the crisp clear sound i'm use to in Reason. I would always have to have the tempo of the song done in the daw to the exact tempo in Reason and you know sometimes after listening to a track you hear its too fast or too slow and you want to change the tempo. Well I guess now with time stretching I can do that? Thanks

You sound like you're SCREAMING for ReWire lol. Just find a DAW that hosts VSTs and Rewire it with Reason.

ReWire makes it very very easy to combine Reason with a DAW. Just load up the DAW as the host, then load up Reason as the slave (read the DAW manual to see how to do it.. it's usualy very simple). Reason will sync with the host and both programs will play at the exact same time.

There are plenty of free and/or low cost hosts out there. Reaper for a fact has ReWire. There are others out there like Podium.. etc. Go to kvraudio.com and narrow down the search to Plug-in Host > ReWire > Free. Bam. You'll have your Reason and you'll have access to your additional VST instruments and effects. You can easy route certain Reason instruments to a specific channel in your DAW and add VST effects to just that one sound. You don't need to keep everything self-contained in Reason if you don't want to.

This seems like the best way for you... as long as you have enough space to have Reason and your VSTs on the same computer. Just find a DAW that is easy to learn and you can get comfortable with. I'd recommend Studio One for it's ease of use without sacrificing power and features... but the version that runs ReWire is around $350-$400 bucks.

Last edited:
You sound like you're SCREAMING for ReWire lol. Just find a DAW that hosts VSTs and Rewire it with Reason.

ReWire makes it very very easy to combine Reason with a DAW. Just load up the DAW as the host, then load up Reason as the slave (read the DAW manual to see how to do it.. it's usualy very simple). Reason will sync with the host and both programs will play at the exact same time.

There are plenty of free and/or low cost hosts out there. Reaper for a fact has ReWire. There are others out there like Podium.. etc. Go to kvraudio.com and narrow down the search to Plug-in Host > ReWire > Free. Bam. You'll have your Reason and you'll have access to your additional VST instruments and effects. You can easy route certain Reason instruments to a specific channel in your DAW and add VST effects to just that one sound. You don't need to keep everything self-contained in Reason if you don't want to.

This seems like the best way for you... as long as you have enough space to have Reason and your VSTs on the same computer. Just find a DAW that is easy to learn and you can get comfortable with. I'd recommend Studio One for it's ease of use without sacrificing power and features... but the version that runs ReWire is around $350-$400 bucks.

my problem in rewire is....... the only thing i want to use reason for in rewire is a drum machine! BUT.... say i use instruments from refx Nexus and I simply want to use redrum for my drums, i might want to use 3 different redrums for the song. Everything might play alright but when I save and export the total song (Nexus and Redrum) then i listen to the track and its all off time. It played on time before but when i save and export the Reason track plays way off beat.

For the record I hooked my old emu-0202 to my laptop, plugged that into my m-audio and tried to incorporate vsts into reason 6 using the audio recording function, but for some reason the sound is really crappy. I don't understand that, like if I was plugging a guitar or hardware synth in I know the sound wouldn't be crappy, so why is sound crappy coming from my laptop which I do have running through an emu-0202 audio interface?? I was wondering maybe if I bought another m-audio fast track pro and hooked that up to the laptop would that give me better sound? I don't know why this isn't working......

Back