Reason 4.0 some piano keys louder and sharper than others?

notoriousben15

I was playing around on the keyboard and i came up with a nice loop of different piano chords, but some just sound really loud and some sound really mellow. Is there a simple fix for this?

Like for example, each chord i recorded was a 4 finger chord, and maybe 2 or 3 of of the bars that represent piano keys appear to be a lighter shade of orange than others, and some chords are made of all solid dark orange (i think orange, im a bit color blind), and the chords that are all solid are definitely louder and harsher than the some of the other ones.

So i am wondering if there is an option similar to "quantitize" where i can just highlight all of the segments and make them all the same volume/level in one swoop? Or do i have to go in and make adjustments to each individual chord to make some sound louder or softer?

i hope this makes sense, i can post the track if necessary

Could be your playing that is doing this . you are hitting some chords harder than others .
There will be a way to set the volumes(velocity?) to levels dictated by you , I don't use reason so can't help you with that .

Yeah, you're striking the notes at different velocities. Same as in a real piano... if you strike a note hard, it'll sound loud. If you strike a note lightly, it won't sound loud.

If you want to know how exactly they do this... read about sampled instruments with multiple velocity layers. That's what you're playing. It's a good thing (makes playing the instrument more realistic).

In Reason... you can adjust the velocity of your midi data you entered from the keyboard. I forgot how to do this in Reason b/c I haven't used it for 3-4 years, but I think you click a button on the sequencer that will show you the note velocities (I think the button is on the toolbar near the quantize features). A little section will open up under the midi data and you can start adjusting it.

Either that or you can just perform the chords better :)

perfect, i had no idea what note velocity was until i researched your post. Now i solved my problem, and got educated along the way. Thank you!

Back