Quick Question

No Equal

I know the monitor vs headphones debate but I could never specifically find an answer to my question. I have been using HD201's to mix as of late, they are cheap but great alternatives to the beats I was using. I want to get monitors but studio treatment is not possible. I am making beats in my basement and its pretty big. Should I go for the monitors anyway or invest in better headphones? I like the HD201s but sometimes I find that if I take off the headphones for a break and come bck, the mix doesn't sound the same. If monitors are the way, what are a cheap alternative? I know thats also frowned upon but I don't wanna pay 400 on monitors if I can't get my basement treated

Basements are tricky. Depending on the build, sound could be so shotty that it's not worth the investment in monitors without tons of treatment...but it could have decent acoustics as well. Do you hear alot of echoing or weird tonal stuff going on when conversing in your basement? is the basement finished? You may not meed any more than insulation and some dry wall, if that. I've been in basements with nothing done to them that sound great for playback as well as recordings, been in others where playback would sound horrible.

From what i've been told over the past few months if you go the monitor route it'd be a good idea to make sure the room isn't perfectly symmetry or empty.have a bunch of stuff in there to get rid of that echo, and to be frank with you headphones plus monitors is the ideal situation.the ones you have are fine but if you feel you must, find open-backed cans that are flat response and have a decent soundstage since most headphones are dual mono anyways.

You could get a great mix by just using decent headphones. You don't need speakers. I have AKG headphones and Rokit KRK5 speakers I mix on both but headphones should do the job. I mean look at Laidbackluke for instance he does everything on headphones and his overall mixes sound great. If you were to use speakers you would defo need some acoustic treatment.

You could get a great mix by just using decent headphones. You don't need speakers. I have AKG headphones and Rokit KRK5 speakers I mix on both but headphones should do the job. I mean look at Laidbackluke for instance he does everything on headphones and his overall mixes sound great. If you were to use speakers you would defo need some acoustic treatment.

So you don't need speakers, but you went out and got a pair anyway just for the hell of it?

Headphones will absolutely NEVER equate to a real mixing environment equivalent to monitors in a good room. FACT beyond FACT from a guy who respects opinions.

ive only ever used monitors for mixing, headphones to me are only good for quiet times as most are always boosted in the high or low end. they can be good as a second reference along with cheap pc speakers though.

sorry for my late reponse, Guys I am in no way trying to say that headphones are better because they clearly aren't. My question is given my current situation, in which acoustic treatment is not possible at this time, would it be better to still go the monitor route or just up my headphones. Sure if the situation was ideal and acoustic treatment was an option I wouldn't even be making this post but since its not I want to go with the next possible option. I'm sure there will be those who say I am not serious about the music because if I was I would get the treatment. My response to that is that all situations in life aren't ideal and you just have to make due with what you have. In the future when I move into my own spot then I can do whatever I like but as for now I am working with what I have.

@KossKong : I wouldn't say my basement is symmetrical and its pretty full so hopefully thats a good thing

^^^Again, how do things sound down there? Echoy or dry? Basements are usually underground, brick, and wood... to the point they sound is pretty good unless other things are causing issues. You probably have better acoustics than most other rooms in your house. There is however the good chance things down there are compromizing your sound. Unless you're getting some crazy sound issues, monitors would be the best option.

^^^Again, how do things sound down there? Echoy or dry? Basements are usually underground, brick, and wood... to the point they sound is pretty good unless other things are causing issues. You probably have better acoustics than most other rooms in your house. There is however the good chance things down there are compromizing your sound. Unless you're getting some crazy sound issues, monitors would be the best option.

I would say dry if I had to choose, their really isn't much echo if any at all. My has brick walls and a wood roof. The only thing I think down here that compromises my sound might be the washer/dryer however I just wouldn't have it on if I had monitors. I also would sit directly in front of the monitors so again not sure if they would help or hurt. Sorry if these questions might seem repetitive but I really don't want to make the wrong purchase and have to still end up buying the other anyway

Sounds to me like you'd be just as good with monitors down there as in any other room. If you have other speakers in the home, take them down to try out and see how well they sound in comparison to whatever room they sit in. That may help you to come to a decision.

when youre down in the basement try clapping your hands slowly or click your fingers and listen for a slight reverb or ringing type echo. if you dont get either you might be ok

Back