Questions:Microphones, Pre-amps and audio interfaces.

D

DJ Wabit

Hi guys! I have been using fl studio for over 3 years now and have already purchased a midi-usb controller and a midi pad controller. I have got to the point where I feel it is appropriate to start to include my own vocals into my songs.
I would like to rap (slowly or quickly) and sing softly.
After having looked up on this topic for several weeks now, I have so far understood that a pre-amp is necessary to boost the signal (and provide phantom power to condenser mics), a mixer (though I'm not quite sure why?), and a sound card to receive the signal being sent from the pre-amp or mixer if it isn't by usb or firewire.
The M-audio pre-amp DMP3 has come to my attention as one of the best low budget pre-amp (any confirmation would be appreciated) while being connected to the m-audio delta audiophile 192. Since I haven't fully understood the use of a mixer I haven't been able to research on one.
However I have just come across the saffire Pro 14 that supports firewire. It is for a reasonable price and also takes away the necessary need of buying the m-audio delta audiophile 192.
Is the Saffire Pro really that good? Have I got everything right? Is a mixer necessary?

My budget being 500 euros I would like to feel that I have invested enough time into researching and understand this realm, thanks!

Don't bother with a mixer , keep it simple .
Buy an audio interface with preamps built in , like the one you listed .
Here's another suggestion :
Echo Audiofire 4 Firewire Interface | DV247
Leaves some money towards monitors etc (yep more money..leads , mic stands , passive volume controller....)

Have a look at other manufacturers , RME make some nice stuff for example (PC) .

As for the preamp , don't buy anything until you get to grips with it all , money will spend itself in this game .
You will get a couple of pres with your audio interface , that should be usable .

Back