Questions about SSDs and Apple Mac Pros

rjdavies

Hi all

So thought I would bundle all my questions into one thread.

1. I want to buy a solid state hard drive for my computer to give it a bit of an upgrade.

At the moment I have an internal SATA HD inside the computer with my OS and programs installed for all my music production software - is there a way to replicate the data on this drive to the new SSD without the computer really knowing and having it load first time from the SSD on the OS? I don't want to have to do a whole new install on the SSD with all my programs and operating system.

2. I am thinking of buying an Apple MacbookPro and have a question about the firewire port on the laptops. I own a Digidesign 002 rack which uses an IEEE 1394 Firewire cable / port to connect to the computer. Does the Apple Laptop support this firewire? If not is it possible to get a converter? Will it work or will I face problems?

3. At the moment I currently record all of my sessions in my internal SATA hard drive - I want to buy an external Hard drive to save and record sessions from as I know this is better- What is a good fast external drive? I would like to use USB 3.0 is this fast? Don't mind paying for a good one. I need to be able to use it for PC and Mac.

Thanks in advance

1. you can clone a hard drive, how you do it depends on your computer.

2. The MacBook Pro still has Firewire 800 all you need is the right cable.

3. What external drive you get depends on your computers, if you are using laptops or all-in-one computers with a single firewire port and your audio interface is also Firewire you can't daisy chain it with a hard drive, PC does not yet have Thunderbolt so USB is probably your only option.

Back