Question about Yamaha rs7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobaphat

Im thinking about giving the software pc thing and shift to hardware. Im thinking about buying a Yamaha rs7000 or the new MPC1000. I want to use either one of them for the drums (samples) and to sequence other synths.

What i want to know is this:
How does the rs7000 sound in comparison to the MPC?
Is the rs7k capable of producing tight sounding drum tracks just as the mpc?

Is it true that you only can hear the track you editting while using the stepwriter??? If so im far less interested.

Thanx in advance poeple

Last edited:
The only MPC that’s f@ck’n with a RS7000 is the MPC4000.
Go cop that sh!t.

Last edited:
The RS7000 is amazing for controlling external gear and the sequencer is in my opinion the best available. Yes the onboard AWM sounds are not that great but you do have the sampler. Also rather than using the step write mode you can use grid mode to get a similar interface. But just go out and try them, you'll soon find out which one is for you.

2 questions:

How can i import samples from my cd to the rs7000??? I already have some nice multisample kits on my pc and want to dump them into the RS7000 without resampling it tru the da ad converters.

What is the easiest way to store samples/songs and midifiles from the RS7000? From what i know,, there isnt an internal harddisc on it

for both question ...
scsi drivers... you can use zipdrive or CDrom drive thru scsi..
or if you have laptop you can just add scsi card for about 15usd and used your laptops HD like internal HD...
and all the programs are included..
i had mpc2kxl.. it's no comparison.... with easy onboard efxs and 64mb ram plus built in sound as bonus...

Last edited by a moderator:
RS7000 don't sleep

What's nice about the RS7000 is when you save a sequence, all the samples and modified sound are stored in the sequence. There's no need to remember how to reassemble you setup like you have to do on the MPC4000 if you save it wrong or don't save all the parts i.e. (Multi, Program, Sequence).

Last edited:
RanCIDmilk said:
for both question ...
scsi drivers... you can use zipdrive or CDrom drive thru scsi..
or if you have laptop you can just add scsi card for about 15usd and used your laptops HD like internal HD...
and all the programs are included..
i had mpc2kxl.. it's no comparison.... with easy onboard efxs and 64mb ram plus built in sound as bonus...

Cant you just connect the sczi with the sczi input of a harddisc of a normal computer???

So you mean you had better experiences with the RS7000 then the mpc???

bobaphat said:

Cant you just connect the sczi with the sczi input of a harddisc of a normal computer???

So you mean you had better experiences with the RS7000 then the mpc???

yes if you have scsi port on your desktop (since i have laptop) it will work...

okee.. why is MPC so popular..? BC of music videos on mtv n bet?(partly) when family line of MPC came out, there was no match for its sequencer(that's back then)...
but it's freaking 2003 and i had mp7, triton, mpc2kxl and have rs7k.. in swing wise i didn notice any difference.. and as you see on other thread.. mpcs got no efx unit.... no sound...
sampler part is pretty limited... other hand rs7k sequencer and its editing can eat up anything on earth.. it's so easy to use..
plus built in sound is bonus..
what i m saying is that, it's 2003 and lots of gears offer way more than mpc does now days... and it is still bit overpriced..
i still don know why peeps diggin MPCs so much, it was inovative when it first came out but time has passed and other company came out with better stuff...
i m tring to sell my triton le and get somthing othere than the "MPC".... maybe i will buy mp7 as sound moduel or vp9000

Cant you just connect the sczi with the sczi input of a harddisc of a normal computer??
Yeah, just plug the scsi port into a scsi device and away you go. Personally I wouldnt bother trying to connect the RS7000 to the computer via scsi, just let it have its own devices

mpc users dig mpcs because we dig. Get IT?

the mpc is awesome for sampling vinyl "phrases" chopping them, rearranging them, then laying them down over a drum track. Not to say that the rs7000 is bad, but for the dj premier style, the mpc is hands down the best, you can assign all your samples, to the pads. chopp up the parts, and assign them to multiple pads. The key here is the "pads" there are 16 pads by 4 banks. So thats 64 total sounds in one program.

so if your into chopping drums, and vinyl melodies, then youll love the mpc, and a bonus is that you can control everything via midi if you want synth sounds over your chops.

i dont think Alot of cats on this forum know what chops are. Take a drum break, then cut sections out of it, then switch the order of those cuts, to make a new break. Also this is the same with melodies, you dont have to cop a whole melody, just a small part of it, mixed with another catchy part of another melody or break or whatever.

Get It?

btw, im not assuming that you are an idiot, i just wanted to defend the mpc position and explain why catz like it.

peace

duder said:
mpc users dig mpcs because we dig. Get IT?

the mpc is awesome for sampling vinyl "phrases" chopping them, rearranging them, then laying them down over a drum track. Not to say that the rs7000 is bad, but for the dj premier style, the mpc is hands down the best, you can assign all your samples, to the pads. chopp up the parts, and assign them to multiple pads. The key here is the "pads" there are 16 pads by 4 banks. So thats 64 total sounds in one program.

so if your into chopping drums, and vinyl melodies, then youll love the mpc, and a bonus is that you can control everything via midi if you want synth sounds over your chops.

i dont think Alot of cats on this forum know what chops are. Take a drum break, then cut sections out of it, then switch the order of those cuts, to make a new break. Also this is the same with melodies, you dont have to cop a whole melody, just a small part of it, mixed with another catchy part of another melody or break or whatever.

Get It?

btw, im not assuming that you are an idiot, i just wanted to defend the mpc position and explain why catz like it.

peace
durr... i know what chop is.. dude.... and have you used rs7000..? i guess not(but i had mpc2kxl and still have rs7k).. there is thing called loop rmix... that mixes phrase... you can can chop and do same thing with it... i m not dissing mpc but all i m saying is that there are lots of gears that offer more than mpc does... for same or less money... get it..?
so new 1000 has auto chop function..? just curious...

RanCIDmilk said:

durr... i know what chop is.. dude.... and have you used rs7000..? i guess not(but i had mpc2kxl and still have rs7k).. there is thing called loop rmix... that mixes phrase... you can can chop and do same thing with it...

Not sayin that the rs7000 cant do it, yes i have used the rs7000, i wasnt sayin that you dont know what a chop is, just in general people dis the mpc cause they say it "doesnt have this, and it doesnt have as many features, its out dated". im sayin that what the mpc does, its as good as you need, simple. Personally i dislike the rs7000 cause of the lack of pads. (2 it has if i remember correctly) I dont think anybody needs an auto chop function. Thats the whole point. With the mpc, you have to do it all yourself, and use the basic tools given to you. Dont need to worry about features, cause the features it has are implimented near perfect.

Peace.

so no auto chops..? in mpc1000..? how come..
i think you(peeps in general) should take advantage of what current technology offers... don you think.. why you stuck with dated gear when you can use ones that more advanced..
why not use it.. when you can save time and head ach......
i think auto chop feature is requirement for all up coming samplers... don you think..?
why i dis like mpc is that no efx... no filter... no keyboard... and doesnt offer stuff that rs7k offer in live recording situation.. that's all..:victory:
(i also dislike tha idea that "yeah i saw XXXX uses mpcs so let's join the bandwagon!!"):bigeyes:

xxx uses the mpc cause it works. and its proven it.

But really. i think its fun to chop the samples my self. Cause no matter what, if a machine does it all. it takes out the endless creative possiblities. Things i do agree with-are sampler basics like "normalizing" and "resampling" but i would sacfrice these things for the creative flow i get from using the simplicity of the mpc.

Basically, preferance-there are alot of hardcore brand heads. Roland heads love rolands, korgheads love korg, akai, emu, etc. Why? probably cause the equipment to them just makes sense. They where probably designed by similar people, so there users assimilate well with the design. Or the brands of equipment some people learned on. For me, the mpc just makes total sense-and this is why i love it so much regardless of its short comings. Yeah, just cause you can get the best, or have this or that, doesnt mean the piece of gear fits you. Hell, a computer can do everything, but i dont enjoy using the computer.

peace.

RanCIDmilk said:

yes if you have scsi port on your desktop (since i have laptop) it will work...

okee.. why is MPC so popular..? BC of music videos on mtv n bet?(partly) when family line of MPC came out, there was no match for its sequencer(that's back then)...
but it's freaking 2003 and i had mp7, triton, mpc2kxl and have rs7k.. in swing wise i didn notice any difference.. and as you see on other thread.. mpcs got no efx unit.... no sound...
sampler part is pretty limited... other hand rs7k sequencer and its editing can eat up anything on earth.. it's so easy to use..
plus built in sound is bonus..
what i m saying is that, it's 2003 and lots of gears offer way more than mpc does now days... and it is still bit overpriced..
i still don know why peeps diggin MPCs so much, it was inovative when it first came out but time has passed and other company came out with better stuff...
i m tring to sell my triton le and get somthing othere than the "MPC".... maybe i will buy mp7 as sound moduel or vp9000

Watch the VP-9000, son. It's not a great sound module period. We have one but we use it as a vocal processor and a sample filter. 6-voice polyphony does not leave much room for intense sound deployment.

Which MPC are you reffering to? The 4000 has a full Z4 sampler implementation in side and the 4000PLUS unit comes with the EFX board already installed at the factory.

My view of the Yamaha RS7000? Yamaha could learn a thing or two about ergonomics and operating system structure from AKAI. Or anyone else for that matter. Whoever writes their OS software for the RS-series and MOTIFs needs an open-handed slap in the mouth still.

Peace.

Hey ppl just a couple of Q's, i bought a secondhand RS7000.. however having owned and RM1X, Im aware of the preset(style's)patterns.. to play around with.. however on powering up the Rs7000.. and hitting the pattern mode, i found no presets..? not sure who ever used it in the past deleted these..? just wondering if I upgrade the to the latest.. v1.22 O.S, will i have these preset patterns(style's) again..? ohh and how to change the Ram..?

Cheers:
steve from Australia..

Last edited:
if i remember correctly, there arent any presets on the RS... the RS doesnt have internal memory... the presets were on the 8mb memory card that was included when the RS was new.. if u search the web u can find them.

da relic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back