Question about when to be filtering

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, lately I have been paying alot of attention to how my favorite sample producers tend to keep the same bassline from the song itself in the beat. I was wondering when do u guys tend to filter out the bass end of your sample? Do you guys filter off the bass if there is kicks and stuff in there? Do you keep the bassline if its just bassline and no kicks? Any feedback would be appreciated thanks

Hey guys, lately I have been paying alot of attention to how my favorite sample producers tend to keep the same bassline from the song itself in the beat. I was wondering when do u guys tend to filter out the bass end of your sample? Do you guys filter off the bass if there is kicks and stuff in there? Do you keep the bassline if its just bassline and no kicks? Any feedback would be appreciated thanks

There's no formula, it's all a matter of what you feel. Sometimes the song has an excellent bassline that is already apart of the sample so all you need to do is filter it to give it more of a presence. Other times there could be a bassline in your mind that would work over the sample. and sometimes you want to emulate the bassline the sample had so you play over it. There are a lot of things that can be done, but you have to do what feels right to you. I hope this helps.

You can filter out the bass line if you plan on making your own or if you plan on using it (filtering out the high end on a separate track) I say you should always do it because it adds another way to break the beat down. For Example: The intro to your beat could be the sample with the bass filtered out, or it can break down to just the drums and the filtered bass line like in "Dead Presidents" by Jay-Z or the "One More Chance (Stay With Me Remix)" by Biggie etc etc

Last edited:
So what if a sample has a good bassline but the kick is in it? Would u guys filter the bass and kick out to replay it with ur own or can u just add ur drums over the current drums already?

So what if a sample has a good bassline but the kick is in it? Would u guys filter the bass and kick out to replay it with ur own or can u just add ur drums over the current drums already?

You can do either, whichever one sounds better. I have had samples that had traces of the kick in it, I still created my own drum pattern, I just made sure I had a kick stacked in the same places the sample had to avoid clash

Back