Question about MPC 1000

Dr.Strangelove

I have an Akai MPC 1000 with the stock OS

I'm having trouble with pads/samples not fully playing when I am trying to lay something down.

To be more specific, I cut a loop and recorded it into the first track; it sounded fine when I played it back. Then, I tried to put down the drum line on track 2. When I did, the original loop stopped around the 4th beat of the first measure.

All mute groups are off. I checked the decay time and duration in the step edit mode- I'm still not figuring this out. I'm also having this problem with other and more complex projects I work on.

Could it have anything to do with the RAM? Sometimes I run out of space when chopping, but I should have plenty of space after a 2 bar loop and some drum hits.

I have read the manual several times, but the answer wasn't there. Searching FutureProducers and google also proved unfruitful. Any ideas/advice is much appreciated

if your loop (from track 1) is in a program, try to see if the program is set as ''mono''. If so, change this to ''poly'' so you can play different sounds from a program at the same time. Mono let you just play one sound at a time.

try this and if it aint right, tell me

I tried changing that, but still no luck. I found out that if I record the track in "Solo" mode the chops will play all the way through, but when I take it off of solo they get cut off again. this is really impeding my ability to make shit kicking beats on the reg

Do you realize you can either set the entire program or individual pads in the program to poly/mono? I barely understand what you're tryna do.. Perhaps you've read the manual but don't comprehend? Lol. RAM has nothin to do w/ it. RAM determines how much sample time you have, and how many samples you can have loaded.

Alright I'll try to re-explain.

I lay down the drums in tracks 1 and 2 of sequence one.

Then I lay down some piano chops in track 3 of sequence one.

(all of the above sounds are in bank A)

I load some vocal chops into bank B. I attempt to lay the vocal chops in track 4 of sequence one. One in particular is the singer saying "you've been on my mind". I hit that pad on the first beat, and it comes out "you've been on", and then is cut off, leaving "on my mind" unheard.

Every pad in the program is set to Poly and OneShot (no pad is Mono)

Bank A (piano chops) are set to Mute Group 1

Bank B (Vocal cuts) are set to Mute Group 2

The drums are not a part of any Mute Groups.

Any ideas are appreciated, it's probably some dumb mistake I'm making. I've also upgraded to the free JJOS, if that makes any difference

Alright, I dug a little deeper and got it figured out. Thanks for the help though

for those of you lurking out there in internet land, I had to turn up the "Pad On Level" value in the settings

I have an Akai MPC 1000 with the stock OS

I'm having trouble with pads/samples not fully playing when I am trying to lay something down.

To be more specific, I cut a loop and recorded it into the first track; it sounded fine when I played it back. Then, I tried to put down the drum line on track 2. When I did, the original loop stopped around the 4th beat of the first measure.

All mute groups are off. I checked the decay time and duration in the step edit mode- I'm still not figuring this out. I'm also having this problem with other and more complex projects I work on.

Could it have anything to do with the RAM? Sometimes I run out of space when chopping, but I should have plenty of space after a 2 bar loop and some drum hits.

I have read the manual several times, but the answer wasn't there. Searching FutureProducers and google also proved unfruitful. Any ideas/advice is much appreciated

Here is a general rule of thumb with MPCs
Use a different program for drums " put program play to "Polly"
Use a different program for samplers " put program play to "mono"

Never put both your samples and your drums on the same program.

Back