Quantizing on MPC2000XL

ABSiNT

can somebody help me with a quantizing question on the mpc 2000xl. im wodering how you designate that you want to quantize just a single track (ie the kick on track 2) while leaving all the other tracks unquantized. also visa versa. if i want to quantize all the tracks for the drums (ie hi hats on track 1, kick on track 2, and snare on track 3) with the same quantize setting.

also is there a way to "undo" quantize once you've applied it to a track. it seems that when i record a sequence with no quantize and then apply something like a 1/16 quantize with 75% swing, i cant then take that quantize off and experiment with a different setting, like say a 1/8 quantize with a 60% swing.(those settings i gave are just examples, and not particular settings that i am having trouble with). i 've had to delete that sequence and record the drum pattern again if i want to start fresh. <!-- / message -->

everything that ive seen on my mpc 2000 has been auto quantize i dont think u can remove it. i also believe the quantize changes from track to track but I dont remember because i havent used mine in a while

I might not understand your questions correctly but if you want to quantize a single track just set it that way and record.Like if you want 1/8 on track one do it and if you want 1/16 on track 2,set it when you overdub.When you record the unquantized tracks just turn it off when you overdub.

As for the second part of your question.......just go back to the swing settings.Once you adjust it again hit do it and it will apply the changes.The only thing is,if you record the track at 1/16 and want to change it to 1/8 you'll have to delete the track and re-record it with whatever setting you want.

Last edited:
I don't use it except for hats and even then it's sparatic.I think if you have a good sense and rhythm and a descent ear you can do everything else without it.People use swing to give tracks a more humanized feel but there's nothing more humanizing than playing how you feel.(i'm speaking mostly of drums,of course)

Peace

the 2000xl always records the quantisize u use DURING the recording. so if u want a different setting u have to play it in again. if u want to nquantisizing just turn it off. i feel u with that problem because i think it sucks.. ^%

Back