Protect your hearing

Van_Sandee

Hi guys.i am a dj and new to producing.Anyone here doing live gigs or dj set,what do you guys use to protect your ears?
do you use in ear monitoring ? or musician earplug? What do you think is the best between this two?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

I use earplugs! Not necessarily some fancy/very expensive ones. I just go to the pharmacy and buy some big silicone malleable earplugs. Used in pools, noisy environments, etc. (Don't go for something small, it's better if it occupies all the space inside your ear, i say this because there are some small earplugs for swimmers only. Don't go for that.). This is not a long-term solution since it has a very little usable period before loosing their grip to the ear and therefore lose it's noise control abilities due to all the adjusting, and removing. But it's cheap so you can just buy a pair again, and it does the trick.

I've used it to DJ at big rooms, small rooms, boat parties, with some big sound systems and always legit results.

But of course, always better to have some custom earplugs designed for your ear, but that's pricy as hell!

Hello
I'm new to the site, this happens to be my first post so first i want to say hi.
My question is this. By using ear plugs does not affect the sound you hear?does not cuts out some frequencies? Or doesnt cut you from the general feeling of the room?

Thank you for your time in advance

Yes it does, I don't think filtering is the exact effect. Although it really feels like sound is filtered, if you pay attention you can still hear everything, just a lot lower in volume.
As an example, for me it was hard to mix, at first, tracks with a not-so-powerful kickdrum, because you will not be able to hear it as well as before. But it's all a matter of practice really. In the of the day, you will still have all the sounds, a lot lower and at first those small details in tracks will be tough to hear, but once your ear is used to it, you'll be able to spot those again.
About the feeling of the room, it's still there as it was before, just with the difference that at the end of the night you'll be hearing no annoying buzz and others will :D

Just keep in mind, don't try it live at the first time, because you'll suck at syncing tracks until you get used to it. Good thing it doesn't take long LOL

Get proper musicians ear plugs, or if you have the money custom ear plugs are even better. In ear monitors are even better, but again they're even more expensive. I try to rock musicians plugs every time I go to a show/club if possible, even when I'm not DJing. Don't get normal ear plugs that straight up block sound though, musician plugs make it so everything sounds roughly the same just quieter.

Get proper musicians ear plugs, or if you have the money custom ear plugs are even better. In ear monitors are even better, but again they're even more expensive. I try to rock musicians plugs every time I go to a show/club if possible, even when I'm not DJing. Don't get normal ear plugs that straight up block sound though, musician plugs make it so everything sounds roughly the same just quieter.
I got the sure SE215 for in ear monitoring, they are totally worth the price ($100)

I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide on weather or not to get in ear monitors. If you do, try to find some with a built in limiter, so you don't accidentally crack the volume on your mixer (that's going to your headphones) and do some real damage.

Back