Product of Environment???

C

C-Enes

its not what you think.

recently went to buddy's house (whose also a music partner) and he has a great setup. desk setup to face outside to an awesome front yard with an equally awesome backyard, great acoustics, workflow in the area looks ridiculously supurb, etc. his stuff is banging like a mother****er.

lets cross over to my place

really small cramped room, size of some peoples closets almost, no room to put anything literally have my laptop sitting on a laundry basket with my keyboard on my bed so i can get up to pee when i need to, stifling air, window that looks out to a giant soundwall which blocks a never busy road, did i mention cramped????, etc. ive been on a slow decline as of recently as far as inspiration is concerned. which is bad because i have tried listening to new music, ive tried going out a bit, ive tried alot of things but it isnt working. ill get back to my room and bam its like i have absolutely nothing. furthermore ive realized that i can create awesome ideas while im out but again as soon as i sit down and look around its gone.

ive tried tricks to make it seem i have a bigger area, got crazy backgrounds that make it seem like im in the middle of europe or whatever and rearranging and all that jazz. nothing. i suppose i could go out and do work somewhere else but that is besides the point.

what im getting at is, do you all believe that the environment you are in directly affects your inspiration? i do realize people have had worse environments and i used to have a pretty decent setup before The Great Migration but its like im stuck deep in a rut in this dark ass damp little room.

i guess im looking for confirmation of what i believe really. any thoughts?

No. That'a an excuse.

Your quality is a direct reflection of how often you practice. How many hours per week do you put in doing music?

No excuse bro. I make my tracks in a slave cave. Yes that's right I said it, a damn slave cave. Where the Underground railroad folks camped out. I live right off the Missouri River and many houses in my section got tunnels running too each houses and they all connect. Mine does but it's concreted over for obvious reasons. I'm sitting in a cold cave, with a little window too look out of, and dry wall that hasn't been painted. Nothing too look at all.

Just a lamp, my controller, desktop computer, 5th of whiskey and a broken table on milk crates.

I think the environment can make a difference but I don't think it'll make or break most people. It's cool if you can look out and have a nice view in a creative space but ultimately the music should be getting you psyched, not the room.

gotcha. needed some sort of mental blocked unblocked or whatever by a jury of peers haha

@troup wake up at 2am go to work come back round 9 take a short nap then music all day till like 9. or at least making attempts. most of the time its sitting in front of lappy with empty DAW. then it usually progresses to sample digging then trying to reinfluence with spotify.

gotcha. needed some sort of mental blocked unblocked or whatever by a jury of peers haha

@troup wake up at 2am go to work come back round 9 take a short nap then music all day till like 9. or at least making attempts. most of the time its sitting in front of lappy with empty DAW. then it usually progresses to sample digging then trying to reinfluence with spotify.

So you're not actually making music. You're sitting in front of your computer listening to music.

Maybe that's your problem. Your'e not actually making music. Try MAKING music. Regardless of whether you're "inspired" or not.

Construction kits is the answer. Check out some quality construction loops, listen to the individual sounds as well as the full mix, and outdo the construction kits with your own sounds......or flip the construction kits. Win Win!

yeah you do have a point. gonna have to sit down and make something and say **** it to inspiration and see what comes out. definitely appreciate the replies too btw by everyone

Environment plays a factor, but there's no such thing as a "better" environment beyond preference. It's all about getting the vibe that inspires you. There's a guy up here who always posts vids of him recording on his laptop on cliffs in the forest. That's where he vibes. I know a guy who used to hop on the train in NYC and just ride around all day banging on his laptop. These are far from "professional settings" but that's where those guys vibe.

Learn to get the best vibe you can out of what you got.

Whenever my place is feeling a bit cramped I just head over to P Diddy's house to fix myself something to eat while I produce a few tracks in my new monogrammed PD PJs.

damn hollandturbine lemme get that setup lol

@deranged was actually thinking bout hitting up the oceanfront. made a few good things out there but of course theres the sand and when the sun goes down, rampant ass showing and douchebaggery. environment plays a huge part in my vibe so seeing the strip helps. dunno just maybe a huge music block.

Play modern warefare.

Drink while you play then Drop some cats in the game, use predator missle, then chopper, and then go downstairs drop some horns, strings, 808, fast maracas and your a product of war music! -That's your environment.

Or go to the mall, pick up a chick, take her out to the movies, fall in love. Use her as inspiration.-That's your environment.

Have some fun with the homies on a night out, or vacation. -That's your environment.

Point is- Inspire yourself.

The environments within your head.

Back