Producing Dance Hall

Madness

Hello all,

Im from Sydney, Australia, and I am fairly new to Dance Hall ....I have been into Breakbeat and Drum & Bass for years and allways had a love of Reggae, Dub, Dance Hall but never got to listen too it much. Now Ive been buying up much older Lee Perry etc... Dub, and as much Dancehall as I can (it pretty hard to get)

Recently, I have been sick of the whole breakbeat scene, and been going to a few Dances held here in OZ by the FIREHOUSE Crew. An Dam this **** is MAD...I mean Ive never seen a small crowd go so mad an esspecially the ladies, the ladies they love it....

So my question is....Can some one send me in the right direction to get some of the latest Dance Hall tracks....Is there a good mail order site where I can get some good compilations...???????

Also, I want to start producing this stuff...Ive done some drum and bass before and its pretty simular to that as far as placement of snares for an aggressive sound or what ever....but I was thinking some one might have some MIDI files of their drum tracks so I could look at whats going on and get some Ideas....?????

Big Up everyone on this board...

peace,

Madness

One ting u could do is to find out some hot dancehall instrumental, cut out two/four bar loops and put on midi track ur kick the way its done one the audio loop uve cuted, put on the midi track ur snare the way they are in the audio loop, u got it ? Think it's good to be teached by the bests, look out for dancehall tunes u like, etc,

you might try this:

1. put your sequencer on 120 bpm
2. put kicks on steps 1 and 9
3. put snares or rimshots on steps 4 & 6 and on steps 12 and 14

this is if you use a 16 step sequencer, otherwise if your counting 1-2-3-4, kicks on 1 and 3 and double rimshots on 2 and 4.

sounds perhaps complicated but really easy, do try it. once you got the hang of it you can start changing tempo's and beats. you will get much more original ideas making the beats yourself instead of sampling and uneditable drum.

greetz,
zjokka
dubstation.tk

Back