Producers: Do you want to be your own artist?

gescajadillo

Ever thought of just making music yourself to attract more listeners than searching for other artists to work with? I been thinking about it for a while and not sure if the artist thing is what I want to do, I like producing music but there is such a limit to it. Maybe I should start singing and rapping, IDK. Do you guys ever think twice about being your own artist? Or maybe its something you are just not into?

PS I watched the Hit-Boy music video and I was thinking, maybe I should be like that guy...

Last edited:
id love to but im a white guy from the uk with an accent. couldnt really imagine me rapping over beats like these taking off

Last edited:
^^^ Dope beat zilla. Most producers who rap are not the best lyricists, but they usually have an understanding of music that allow them to make it respectable. I think J Cole is one better producer/rappers now, and I always thought Dilla(nice voice and delivery) had the potential to be one of the best but he didn't really want to do it. Ye' just talks a lot of shit and comes up with good punch lines, and Dre has gotten better over time. I ain't really feelin hi-boy's flow. So i think its up to u, but if your beats are tight I think average rapping can be okay. my 2 cents

It's a good exercise in learning how beats work with lyrics.

Also a good lesson in how to not overproduce. There have been songs where I spent months...tweaking here...tweaking the beat...tweaking the vocals....re-recording vocals...adding a different hook...scratching verses and searching for a feature...mixing....re-mixing....then finally its 6 months later and the original sounded better than what you have now lol.
:shame:

I truly understand how Detox could have taken this long...especially if you have previous standards to live up to lol.

Perfectionism can be as hurtful in production as much as inability.

Last edited:
It's a good exercise in learning how beats work with lyrics.

Also a good lesson in how to not overproduce. There have been songs where I spent months...tweaking here...tweaking the beat...tweaking the vocals....re-recording vocals...adding a different hook...scratching verses and searching for a feature...mixing....re-mixing....then finally its 6 months later and the original sounded better than what you have now lol.
:shame:

I truly understand how Detox could have taken this long...especially if you have previous standards to live up to lol.

Perfectionism can be as hurtful in production as much as inability.

yeah "we" producers make beats too complex "we" producers need to chill on adding too many elements
a lot of ppl on this forum and especially in this section be hating on "industry" beats /beats that have been made into songs
and say it's trash
so in turn alot of folks read those posts and start making complicated beats no room for vocals.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rted/studio-upgrade-what-do-you-think-415775/

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

If your willing to put the time into being a dope artist, I highly suggest it. Like F00T said, being your own artist really gives you an idea of what other artists want outta beats and how you can better produce them. Also gives you more opportunities and outlets to get your work out through

Tyler the Creator is another good example of a producer/rapper. And who hear when they make a beat doesn't mumble some rap lyrics to themselves while making it? I know I do just so I can test to see if a song is singable or rappable

I've considered it. Just as a vehicle to get some of my ideas out.

I still might. I have some downtime coming up in my schedule. If I don't fill it with clients, I think I might do a quick song to see what the public reception is...

producers trying to be all in the videos
You forgot Diddy...

but really, nah. If I had the lyrical ability sure. I think it would be sick to be an all-in-one kind of guy like B.o.B, but personally I don't have the ability.

Last edited:
I stared as a youngster always writing rhymes, poems, songs etc. did it for years but never actually opened my mouth and spat any of them haha so i just figure it's a but too late to start but i do love producing a whole lot! i found it came to me naturally when recording people taking control etc.

Saying that i do write lyrics for some people or assit them in songwriting so it's handy.

That's how I figured out how drums work. At first my drums were sporadic and inconsistent, then I was like "If I can't rap to this, NO ONE can." Realized I had dumpster juice drums with no rhythm. Also realized I can't rap.

That's how I figured out how drums work. At first my drums were sporadic and inconsistent, then I was like "If I can't rap to this, NO ONE can." Realized I had dumpster juice drums with no rhythm. Also realized I can't rap.[/QUOTE]

made my day

Unlike Bass music or EDM producers a lot of hip hop producers have a mentality where they relegate themselves into a fixed support role. If you are only operating under the brand of the rappers you work with then you have assumed a weak branding position because if the public don't shop for your brand you are just expendable, ideally you should be putting out shit under your own brand or a group brand you have a share in, you don't even need to rap or sing to do that, you can get other artists to do that for you.

Does the opinion count if you are the reverse? Artist-turned-producer. I always sought out others for beats and still do and probably always will. But sometimes, I turn to my own production skills (or sadly enough, lack thereof) to help me get lyrics written, ideas fleshed out, and maybe even a song or two done. At times, I have used the beats that I made as a launching pad, sending them to the producer that I know and asking him to come up with their own "better" version.. so I can get even closer to what I wanted to rap on.. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it turned into a big frikkin mess. go figga!

I make tracks and write songs and know I have the potential to make it as an artist. I just don't think I'd like the whole non-privacy life. As a regular producer making some money you don't have to worry about dealing with stans all the time.

But yes, sometimes I see awful artists (especially in my country) and I start thinking about releasing songs, but the above argument keeps me from pursuing it.

I never recorded my own raps, but I do write to my beats. Sometimes I even try to sing but thats my weakest point. Actually, my lyrics is often better than my beats, but im just not confident in my voice.

Back