Producers and artist

ITSSOL

Itssol
When you hear a great producer work with a terrible artist, do you think of them as musical individuals or does the artist bring the producer down to to his or her level?

When you hear a great producer work with a terrible artist, do you think of them as musical individuals or does the artist bring the producer down to to his or her level?

You do realize this is impossible and does not exist, don't you?

a) If you are a producer and you work with someone and they (still) sound terrible, you are not a 'great producer'.
b) If you are great and worked with someone and a result was TERRIBLE, we would never hear it. We'd only hear the good stuff.
c) If you worked with someone and nothing...worked...you'd STOP WORKING WITH THEM and we would never know you ever did. Unless of course they blew later and then youd mention that you worked with them 'early' but the label never put it out. Lol

The only case this makes sense- is when you hear a 'dope beat' rhymed/sang over by someone you don't like. That's your opinion and you don't know how how much worse that artist might sound over a weaker track. I think they are a lot of rappers who benefit from music better than their vocals. Hell some are legends. And there are some rappers that make whatever they rhyme over sound better than it really is. so....

From an abstract sense, the music usually comes first. I don't know how many producers truly work off an freestyle acapella verse before they start creating.
And if that verse is wack, they are going to be inspired to make a wack track too.

If anything, I'd say you might over-produce trying to save the vocals- adding all kinds of bells and whistles to help.
bah

You do realize this is impossible and does not exist, don't you?

a) If you are a producer and you work with someone and they (still) sound terrible, you are not a 'great producer'.
b) If you are great and worked with someone and a result was TERRIBLE, we would never hear it. We'd only hear the good stuff.
c) If you worked with someone and nothing...worked...you'd STOP WORKING WITH THEM and we would never know you ever did. Unless of course they blew later and then youd mention that you worked with them 'early' but the label never put it out. Lol

The only case this makes sense- is when you hear a 'dope beat' rhymed/sang over by someone you don't like. That's your opinion and you don't know how how much worse that artist might sound over a weaker track. I think they are a lot of rappers who benefit from music better than their vocals. Hell some are legends. And there are some rappers that make whatever they rhyme over sound better than it really is. so....

From an abstract sense, the music usually comes first. I don't know how many producers truly work off an freestyle acapella verse before they start creating.
And if that verse is wack, they are going to be inspired to make a wack track too.

If anything, I'd say you might over-produce trying to save the vocals- adding all kinds of bells and whistles to help.
bah

WISE WORDS!!

As a kid I used to place the producer and artist together and to this day i sometimes do. I have a slight fear of producing for a weak artist and people associating my production skills with those people,lol.

I have to say there are some wack rappers with some dope beats. So no,I don't think weak artists don't bring down the instrumental.

When I hear a track with a terrible rapper and a tight producer, I jus listen to the beat. I know Im a musical cat but even some of my homies that listen to music and don't make it have become fans of producers. With that being said, unless the rapper is jus gettin reckless on a track and talkin' bout people's mamas and snitchin' and dissin', I don't C the downside of a wack rapper bein' on your beat, free promo. On the other hand..... As a producer, I PERSONALLY wouldn't promote somethin' that I think is wack, so if a wack artist got on one of my beats, I wouldn't advertise the track, thats jus me though...

Last edited:
I always here the beat first, it's what pulls you in before the artist spits

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Yo, I like these tracks especially the second one! I'm posting one to my page if thats cool

I always here the beat first, it's what pulls you in before the artist spits

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Yo, I like these tracks especially the second one! I'm posting one to my page if thats cool

No doubt sir, I don't mind as long as I'm gettin my credit, thanks!

Back