Produce what i like or change for radio

U

UpnComer

I like to make beats that I like, but when i listen to radio its different. Radio beats have alot of changeups. My music is loops with maybe a chorus and an intro. I tried to change my style but it was hard, is it gonna be this hard forever? Do u get used to it and get better? Im having alot of problems just thinking about what kind of music i want to make. I have all the vsts i need and fl studio.

I like to make beats that I like, but when i listen to radio its different. Radio beats have alot of changeups. My music is loops with maybe a chorus and an intro. I tried to change my style but it was hard, is it gonna be this hard forever? Do u get used to it and get better? Im having alot of problems just thinking about what kind of music i want to make. I have all the vsts i need and fl studio.

Just copy what you hear from the radio.

You will be surprised at how much better your music production skills improve from copying radio songs. Those songs have definite structures and small tricks to keep them interesting. Listen, learn, and execute. What you make now will seem like trash once you develop your sound. The radio is definitely your friend!

Last edited:
Best thing to do is sample and copy first. I learned this the hard way. Basically, by doing that it intrigues the artists more because they normally want shit they are familiar with(stuff they have heard before or something similar to sopmething they have heard before). When you venture out and do original music I have learned that it intimidated a lot of the artists I was trying to work with because they didnt know how to rap over it. They all liked the music, infact its about the same thing you hear on the radio right now, but I was doing whats hot right now 5-7 years ago, so rappers were not exactly trying to **** with it because it wasnt familiar too them, I am from the westcoast also (los angeles) so they all wanted that westcoast sound, but I was doing trap sometimes and they couldnt **** wit it. That's my experience anyways. You will probably sell more beats that way like I have been since I changed. What I would do is once you start to blow up as far as actually having some tracks with your name on it and some good production then try and open an artist up to your vision, until then rappers are normally just trying to do their "own thing" on "your beats". However always do you, thats the number one thing is to be yourself, but remember your running a business when your trying to sell your music. So remember from a marketing point of view something that someone is familiar with is easier to sell rather then something new.

Just a thought, my 2cents, i hope this leads you in a positive direction.

The difference between radio an your compositions is that the radio plays completed songs. Learn how to write/tell a story. Don't be afraid to add hooks/chorus before you let artist hear your stuff.

Radio is dated. Go to a club, that's right now..real asses(sometimes) on a real dancefloor, real vibes, real sweat, real expensive drinks, bars being bought out, then BOOM...what you got for them?

Does it have the legs to be a strong single...NO...delete it and start over. No filler, no fluff, no b-sides....everything must be itunes/single ready in 2013+.

Sit down and draw out a plan of what you want to achieve, who you want to like your music, where you want to get on the chart, be realistic.
Stay true to yourself when writing music, stay true to the market when mixing.

Back