Pro tools Control Desk Alternatives (Equipment Advice)

Red Charon

I'm in the process of compiling a list of equipment that i'll need when it comes time for me to start building my 'studio'. The one thing i'm having trouble with is finding a good substitute to the Digidesign mixing desk that they sell for a whopping 10 thousand. The c24 console. It's a mixer and a controller built for pro tools. Now, i could for sure get this money together, but, every bone in my body is screaming 'rip-off'.

I just wanna get your guys suggestions on a mixing console, with a decent number of tracks, motorized faders, some pretty good quality mic pre's and TRANSPORT CONTROLS (and maybe even digital scribble strip screens) that are all linkable with pro tools 10. The transport controls have been a very difficult thing for me to find, WITH the other things i mentioned. Or if not together, a good combination of equipment i could get together that would do away with this c24 desk.

Any ideas?

Hey Red,
Have you looked for any used deals at all? A friend of mine just bought a ProTools HD rig - complete with the interface, C24 console, a desk made for the C24, Mac Pro, DB-25 breakaways, etc - everything for the console and ProTools used for just about $10k altogether. He may have gotten a good deal, but I'm sure you could be able to find some used solutions for close to the same price. As long as you're buying it from someone who takes care of their gear, I see no problem buying used...though perhaps that is me.

Yooo! That sounds like a SICK deal. I didn't even think about looking for it used. I found the c24 on ebay brand new for about 7 grand and i thought that was a good deal. But if i could find what you just said, for something remotely close, i'll probably go ahead and get it. Because the c24 plus the argosy desk alone is $12,000. Plus everything else u mentioned separately would probably land close to 16-17 thousand. SMH.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to start looking at used. Do u happen to know where he found it? was it online, or a local Craigslist type deal?

I'm not quite sure honestly. I know he drove out of State to the next State over to pick it up but I would have done the same if I were in his shoes.

Again I'm not sure if that's a once in a lifetime deal or not, but getting 15k of gear used for 10k or so doesn't sound so outlandish. Maybe take a look on Gearslutz to see what a setup like this is selling for used if you can find it.

ahh ok. Yea, i've just gotta rub elbows with a few people and start talking i see. I found out about some music exchange place sout by me that sells and trades equipment. Fleas and stuff.. I'll be looking around. I appreciate the response tho. I've got a terribly complicated journey ahead... an empty building.. and an entire list of expensive equipment to chase. haha

Tascam DM 4800

Euphonix McControl & McMix (you combine multiple units)

Behringer x32

I saw that Behringer x32 at GC and i liked it, but what discouraged me was the sales person saying it wasn't very good for studio purposes. He mentioned the Pre's not being so good. He said it was more geared towards live sound, stage mixing. Is this true?

That Tascam is SICK. That just might be my alternative mixer. I love it. The only thing it lacks is Talk Back. Whats a solution for this? I really dig having the button to feed directly into the booth headphones.

The Behringer unit is sort of geared toward live use but can be used in the studio as well. My only grip is only the 8 faders the far right will control your DAW. They are bankable but dammit! LoL. On a good not though it's driver is 32 in/32 out so you can route track directly to the other channels. For Behringer I was definitely impress. I believe is has a little of the technology from the Midas boards to credit for this.

You can just create an aux track in your Daw sending directly to your headphone mix. You can use any cheap dynamic mic. Put a heavy compressor on it and boom. I wonder if the Tascam is going to be upgraded anytime soon because it has been out for while but definitely nice for the price.

Yea this Tascam joint just might be my pick. That thing is pretty sweet. I never even thought about that dynamic mic idea. That way it picks up the entire control right, right? Then u could just use the mute button to cut it off? This music ish proves it has endless possibilities and solutions to any and every problem.

But yo, i truly appreciate the help. This sheds a new light on my choices. Now off to watch tons of review vids and tutorials haha.

dm4800

If you look on the right hand side if the dm4800 I think you'll find a talk-balk button and embedded talk-back mic.

If you look on the right hand side if the dm4800 I think you'll find a talk-balk button and embedded talk-back mic.

Yea i see it. I was looking at that too, but idk what it is because on sweetwater in the capabilities list it lists talk-back as "no" ... Idk what that is. Plus i can seem to locate a talk back button

Look to the right of the jog/data wheel. There are three buttons (dim, to slate, to studio). The "To Studio" is the talk-back button.

Up top, on the right, in the control room section is the talk-back volume control. It is simply labeled "T/B". To the left of the T/B knob is the integrated talk-back mic. Yes...it seems to be far away from you when you want to speak into it, but if you just sit and talk normally, it is sensitive enough to pick up every word you say.

Hope this helps!

Thats awesome! This pretty much sums up my search. haha. I'm diggin the DM4800. the only thing that scares me is the fact that its been out so long, as somebody else mentioned before. I would hate the buy it and then they release a newer version of it that blows it out the water. This seems like it can never be avoided tho with music equipment. Like me paying 600+ for Komplete 7 and then seeing that they released Komplete 8 shortly after. Lol

Last edited:
Back