Plugin types/effects and their 'best/practical' uses...???

Chew_Bear

On a basic level...I know that you pretty much have all the freedom in the world to do what ever you want to your sound.

Therefore you can pretty much experiment and put whatever plugin/effect that you want on any track/instrument/sound that you want for days on end.

All in hopes of just trying to figure out how the plugin/effect is going to affect your track/instrument/sound...OR...until you find a cool sound, figure out a unique effect chain or just trying to emulate your favorite producer's effect chain...

BUT....Most newbie/amateur producers don't have all the time in the world to experiment with every plugin on every sound in their library....Therefore...

1. Is there some kind of cheat sheet or guide line of some sort out there for beginning producers that can help sum up/outline which effects are best suited for which sounds/instruments in order to cut down wasted time, energy, focus and resources...???

For example...What instruments/sounds 'benefit' and/or are supposed to use a....

a. Phaser
b. Flanger
c. Chorus
d. Bitcrusher
e. ...and so on for the many other types of effect plugins that are out there...

Reason...I just finished downloading a few dozen free effect plugins from a couple websites and I think I have chosen a pretty good variety of effects.

This is all in hopes of achieving/trying to understand on a basic level....what each type of effect is and how it changes/morphs/affects my sounds/tracks.

Hopefully...I am on the right track and/or am not trying to waste precious time and energy by doing this.

On a side note...

Which is the best way to organize your plugins folder...???

By 'Type'...EQ, Compressor, Phaser, Flanger, Bitcrusher, Limiter....and so on.

...or...

By 'Manufacturer/Brand'...Camel Audio, Fab Filter, Steinberg, Native Instruments, Izotope, Waves...and so on.

Trying to figure out which way is best in order to minimize the amount of folders and work I have to go thru when searching for plugins in Ableton.

Back