PC vs. Mac

apexcrown

Apex Crown Productions
I know that the scale is probably going to tip towards Mac, but here is why I ask.

I run Cubase on my Dell XPS 410 with Windows Vista. I am very comfortable with my current setup, I know how everything works, and should anything go wrong, I know exactly how to fix it. I have never so much as opened a program in a Mac, and my concern is that I would abandon everything I have ever known to go with the "in-crowd".

If I go with Mac, and stop using PC, I am going to have to completely start over again, production will slow down, and it will take more time for me to re-find my niche.

Should I just try to focus my energies on upgrading my current setup? Or take the leap in to the world of Apple...

Answered your own question there .

If it ain't broke , don't fix it .
Stick with PC .

Absolutely. That's kind of my feeling. But the only reason that I am asking is because I don't know a lot about Macs, and I know that the Mac is "the official computer of the industry". I don't know too many big names running PC.

So I am just trying to evaluate whether the return would be worth my starting from scratch on a Mac. Whether there is a vast difference between production quality, and overall quality between the Mac and the PC.... or if Mac is purely trendy.

Why music schools, and notable producers use Mac over PC...

So I am just trying to evaluate whether the return would be worth my starting from scratch on a Mac.

Not worth it for music production.
Generally speaking, a MAC may (heavy emphasis on MAY) have better quality parts built in it. But when it comes to running computer software, all that honestly matters is the specs: CPU speed, amount of RAM, harddrive space and speed, audio drivers, etc. Whether you're using PC or MAC, you're going to be using the same programs. It's not worth a full switch... there won't be any added benefit from using a MAC than a PC, unless you just have money to burn.

I agree, if it's ain't broke....
I switched from PC to Mac, and while the Mac is more stable and less strange 'PC' problems, I ended up going back to my PC. I just got lots of RAM and kept it off the internet, and so far (knock on wood) everything is cool. I run Nuendo and BPM on the PC. BPM and Pro Tools on the Mac didn't play well with each other. A tool is a tool. If it works, who cares what your neighbor has.

As long as you are making quality music who cares?

A MAC wont bring you anything except probably a learning curve which you probaly havent got time for anyway.

The only reason alot of people use MAC is because it crashes less often and it is less prone to viruses as not many people write viruses for MAC's. I have used a MAC and although it is very good I can't say I would get anything out of it for music production which I am not getting from my PC. Also when my PC becomes too old and slow to run the latest apps I will just bin it and buy a new PC and keep it moving.

you'll get logic 9 and become a monster beatmaker.take it from a mac user.. Mac is by far easier to use than PC get an Imac it comes with ilife.. this way you'll have Iweb to build your websites . You 'll have imovie to make your hot videos. You'll have photo booth to take all these cool special effects pics that your gonna put on websites. Then theres iphoto to organize your pics to easily get them on to your website. Then once you start booking all these hot new artists you will use ical for you calendar which will be programmed to your cellphone to message you when ever you got important meeting with your new potentialy new platinum artist. All because you decided to go with mac, all these programs they set you up with right out the box are great

you'll get logic 9 and become a monster beatmaker.take it from a mac user.. Mac is by far easier to use than PC get an Imac it comes with ilife.. this way you'll have Iweb to build your websites . You 'll have imovie to make your hot videos. You'll have photo booth to take all these cool special effects pics that your gonna put on websites. Then theres iphoto to organize your pics to easily get them on to your website. Then once you start booking all these hot new artists you will use ical for you calendar which will be programmed to your cellphone to message you when ever you got important meeting with your new potentialy new platinum artist. All because you decided to go with mac, all these programs they set you up with right out the box are great

...Really?

I don't have much use for 70% of what you just mentioned. It's like the iPhone. Convenient, but not necessary.

Do you WORK for Apple?

nah I don't work for apple i was just bored and bugging out

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

why not just buy a macbook pro used for like 500 or 600 instead of getting a PC if money is the issue. Thats why I dont under stand when all these PC users are like man i wish i can afford a mac. In the end its cheaper if u get one used if you only seen how many PC user are all over the web wishing they a mac for like Iweb and especially Logic. Not once have I ever heard someone say man i should of just bought a PC and saved money. Macs hold there value to try reselling your PC for anything

Even though I strictly use Mac I agree with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I need a mac because unlike you I don't know how to fix PC errors when they occur. And when I HAD a PC it had errors all the time. It wouldn't even load PTLE even though it met all the specs. My mac never gives me any trouble. Always stable and that's what I needed. Plus I love making beats in Logic.

The endless PC vs Mac debate...

Used both (Mac as a Hackintosh on my PC) saw a friend with a macbook with ableton live.

I'll say this: Macs crash...and they might even crash a hell lotta more than a well assembled pc. My friend is using Ableton Live and it crashes pretty much every 2nd time he tries to open it. Don't buy into the Apple marketing scheme.

Now talking about my custom built 3.6 ghz quadcore monster DAW...not a single crash since 1 whole year. No Problems whatsoever. I can even run OSX 10.6 on it via hackintosh.

The other thing: Apple doesn't use high quality components period. They use the same components you can buy for your pc. They even ditched their IBM PowerPC CPU's for the standart Intel CPU's

I used Logic on my Hackintosh and its really similar to Cubase. So if you're using Cubase or Nuendo I dont really see the point of changing the Sequencer. Me for example I couldn't live without some vsts that are only available for the windows platform.

The only thing why Apple is so well known along studio owners and producers is that back in 2003 they already had machines with 1.6 ghz running with 2 cpus. Those machines were really powerfull compared to pcs at that time because they used the RISC architecture.

Now since apple moved to Intel CPU's you could basically say PC=MAC
Sorry Mac owners what you actually bought is a PC with some Apple stickers and an Apple operating system...nothing more.

Thats also the reason why some people (like me) can get the full MAC OS operating system running on a PC. Back In the PowerPC days it was impossible to get a mac operating system running on a simple pc.

Last edited:
Why music schools, and notable producers use Mac over PC...

Well, back when I was in school, the Tech Design lab instructor shared with me that Apple offers an incredible education discount on their computers to schools.

Apparently, my school only paid around $50 ea. for brand-spanking-new, powerful towers, G4 or whatever the "standard" for multimedia production was at the time.

Apple's theory is that if these kids learn how to use Mac software, they'll buy a Mac computer rather than taking the time to re-learn PC-based equivalents.

And it works.

By contrast, PC makers have no incentive to offer such a drastic discount. They're all competing for a piece of the same pie, rather than creating an entire hardware/software system of its own.

May be the scale is going towards but i don't think that is necessary to go with apple even windows or pc is also.If mac has various advantages then it also has various disadvantages:
1.If everybody used Macs, there would be a lot more viruses and malware for them. If Apple computers became more popular, they would become less secure.
2.There are upgrade options when you buy a Mac, but unlike a Windows PC, you cannot mix and match components. The easiest way to upgrade a Mac is to buy a new one.
3.Macs are very expensive. Even the cheapest laptop costs $999.99. Windows machines cost as little as $500.
4.There are very few games available for the Mac. If you are a gamer, a Mac is probably not the best choice. You could run Bootcamp, but if you are going to spend most of your time on a Mac running Windows, you have to ask yourself if it is worth it.
It requires adjustment. It’s a Windows-based world. Most people are used to using Windows. Changing to a Mac requires that you get used to a number of differences. Some people are simply not willing to make that change. So i will suggest you to stick to pc or windows.

Back