Panning in hip hop tracks.

furTrapper207

Good afternoon,
Coming from a backround of primarily recording acoustic instruments, I am unsure if panning tracks to left or the right is a thing in hiphop/electronic music. I'm one to experiment, however, I am just wondering what the "norm" is, other than using panning for a particular effect. Thanks in advance for any replies!

-Fur Trapper

hi there

whatsoever music you do; the kick and the bass should stand on the middle because they have bass and both speakers can handle them better, so they sound better

however if you feel like you really want to pan these guys
you can pan their high frequencies and leave the deep frequencies on middle, btw i don't know how cool is that

there are no rules about panning do whatever you think is cool but for some reasons people don't really go like panning something 100% left i think its because in clubs or whatever someone may miss that sound so try not to go more than 50%

if you have two guitars doing complex rhythm you may want one of that left, the other right

if you have three guitars i would put one on left, one right, one on center

depending what you have you may want to create different " formations " different positioning like in football if you have a game with 5 players you cannot make a 442 formation you only do that if you have 10 players

thats how i understand it

To answer your question, yes, panning is the norm in hip hop. Hip hop is like every other music genre when it comes to mixing. Gotta give everything room to breathe...

Panning is one of the fundamental tools you have to be able to put the sounds where you want them in the stereo field. It's in no way tied to any specific type of genre or style.

Panning in hip-hop can be very subjective. Typical default panning of kick snare and bass is in the center. But that's not always done, especially if you have live instrumentation backing. The best thing to do is listen to a hip hop producer (or engineer) that you like and look at his conventions.

Good afternoon,
Coming from a backround of primarily recording acoustic instruments, I am unsure if panning tracks to left or the right is a thing in hiphop/electronic music. I'm one to experiment, however, I am just wondering what the "norm" is, other than using panning for a particular effect. Thanks in advance for any replies!

-Fur Trapper

Overall, commercially the norm is still to gain stage the split tracks on the speakers with hardware. Many engineers choose to focus the panning of most of the frequencies to the center and leave a pretty big gap between those and the hard panned elements in the mix. In a CLA style mix you have the side component rather dark and extremely light in density. Guitars are doing most of the high end work, hi hat is added underneath to finalize the balance and cymbals are added on top to cause impact. I find that the bass, kick and vocals should be panned center, because else you'll have a mix that drags towards one side.

A stereo panning scheme (excluding the one side-only mute choice) might look like this:

Vocals

Low: mute
Low mid: 25 %
Mid: 25 %
High: 50%

Background vocals

Low: 50%
Low mid: 100%
Mid: 100%
High: 75%

Bass

Low: 0%
Mid: 0%
High: 0%

Kick drum

Low: 0%
Low mid: 50%
Mid: 0%

Snare

Low: 25%
Low mid: 75%
Mid: 25%

Hi hat

Low mid: mute
High: 25%

Cymbals

Electric guitar

Acoustic guitar

Piano:

B3:

Low: 75%
Mid: 75%

Pad/synth:

Mid: 75%

Stereo/percussion/arpeggios/delays/reverbs:

In reality you have one side-only mutes and side-chaining on low, low mid, mid, high on some of these elements in order to balance each speaker individually both in terms of rms and peak. All of these are of course dynamically fine tuned throughout the mix with automation. When you bring the highs in the mix somewhat towards the center overall, it adds softness to the mix. It is the mute of the lows on several sound sources in the mix that brings clearity and a good density. The worst mistake you can do is to have harsh transients panned hard left and right on loud volume.

Much of the impact created in hits that pop are done so due to the muting. The muting is what can make the vocals in the chorus pop. Muting is also what can silence the noise of the mix and make it sound as if it is played in vacuum, which is a very high quality type of sound, when it is done properly in the hardware domain it causes a very peaceful and emotional listening experience.

Take advantage of panning to make the listeners keep listening to the track. You have to use all of your tools and techniques to make the listeners engaged in your productions.

A great stereo image is the result of having center to side balance, L to R balance, L balance, R balance, mid balance, side balance, all of these balanced in terms of both rms and peak. It's not done just by touching a few knobs, it's a thorough work done with specific hardware and is always production oriented. And it has to be done such that when the listener turns up the playback volume, the right things happen with the stereo image. This means many things - you need to be aware of the perception threshold and in what way/order various elements should pass into perception as you increase the playback volume. You might for instance want the low end of the snare to become audible at a loud playback level and not to be audible on quiet playback. How you make the mix grow in the right way when you increase the playback volume is one of the most important things in mixing. These are balancing decisions you make in mixing and mastering. So listen to how your mix sounds while you are adjusting the playback level. Keep adjusting the playback level while you work, else you'll going to lock the whole mix to sound good only at a certain playback level.

Last edited:
Back