Options, options...

Nicro

OK so a little background.
I started out on FL, got a Maschine after I had been makin beats for a while, and loved it. I ended up selling(needed the cash) the Maschine (For WAAAYY to cheap btw) and am back on FL. Lo and behold I want my Maschine.

Now here is where I am. I'm thinking of getting back on the Maschine(especially with 1.6, I mean damn, its rockin) OR I am also considering getting a MPC with an ASR 10.

I have found being back on FL, that I enjoy playing samples on the keys. If I got an MP I would get a XL or 2500(1000 seems pointless in comparison). This would allow me to run sounds through the ASR, get that sound, and bang out drums on the MP pads. Then I could also play the samples on keys or bang on the pads(I do believe I can hook them up with ASR as slave and play the samples on it, and also run drums through it and back on to MP to bang them on the pads right? And sequence etc.. on MP)

Now the XL seems dope, but it would be nice to have a USB drive. Then I could actually use drum kits I have on my computer, plus use any thing I find e digging (I do dig vinyl as well, but it would be nice to use stuff I e dig.) Also tracking out would be much easier. Now I hear that the 2500 doesn't have as nice a sound as the XL but if I'm using the ASR with it, it won't matter.

Then again, Maschine. I loved it. I know it. Now it has even more features.

EDIT:I am not looking for this to be soft vs hardware. I have always used software with the Maschine being a cross I suppose. I would view this strongly hardware setup(if I go MP and ASR) as just something new to try. I believe I could do just fine on it. I also see, as I am browsing ebay right now 2500s are expensive. Pretty expensive. XL not as bad. But the pros cons listed above...^^^

I just want some opinions, help sort my head.

Last edited:
Would you be able to resell the hardware for about what you paid for it? if yes then it's worth thinking about because as cool as Maschine is I don't think it will hold value.

You don't need an ASR and an MPC, they do the same thing. If you want to play samples on the keys, get a midi controller. I wouldn't recomend them though, I think you will find how you have to do things very frustrating and tedious on an MPC or ASR when comparing it to a Machine or FL. Simply saving and loading samples is a several minute task on any older piece of hardware, and you have to deal with crappy storage devices like floppies or SCSI, which make it difficult to get samples any way other than manually recording them.

You don't need an ASR and an MPC, they do the same thing. If you want to play samples on the keys, get a midi controller. I wouldn't recomend them though, I think you will find how you have to do things very frustrating and tedious on an MPC or ASR when comparing it to a Machine or FL. Simply saving and loading samples is a several minute task on any older piece of hardware, and you have to deal with crappy storage devices like floppies or SCSI, which make it difficult to get samples any way other than manually recording them.

Yes it is true that they do the same thing, and yes I could get MIDI keys but I also want the sound from the ASR.

But yeah the floppies and all seem like they could be a little difficult, which is why I was also thinking a 2500 for the USB ability. Or the XL with a card reader. Any opinion on those?

And yes I do like the Maschine so thats always there, but I'm just toying with ideas. I also would just like a chance to mess with some hardware to learn something new, plus the resale value on them is good, so I could get money back if I don't dig them.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

OK.

I think I'm gonna roll with just an XL MCD. Best of both MP's haha!

Anyway, I don't have monitors. So I realize I will need to cop a pair for the MP, but then I have this question.

Do I need a DJ mixer or just plain mixer or can I roll with just my audio interface?

Cuz to my understanding I need to have the monitors hooked up directly to the MP. Then I would need the mixer(or interface if possible) to hook my TT to and have the mixer(interface) hooked to the MP. Then I suppose I would track out by having the MP hooked to the mixer(interface) and into my comp, then hook up the monitors to the interface to mix on the comp. Right?

I always found doing drums on samplers that aren't drum machines to be a bit of a pita. the greatness of having a mpc/asr combo imo is more so because mpcs are great drum machines/sequencers and asrs are great samplers for chopping and triggering samples. some will agree and some will disagree. besides that its expensive to pull off what u r doing and you wont get any better results than u will get from machine. save some money get a 2000 classic and a eps classic combo for $300 and its more than powerful enough.

Good looking out on that EPS Classic. Any got any help for my post about the interface?

Back