Oliver Heldens sub sound

How does Oliver helden get that huge sub sound like in hist track 'you Know' ? I've tried making it in serum, silent and massive but can't quite figure out how he's got it to be so loud without peaking.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Sine wave or very lowpassed square/saw with a little bit of a pluck envelope shape on the volume

Getting it loud without clipping is mostly to do with controlling the other elements in the track- you'll notice the kicks he uses are quite short to make more room for the bass, and he might be using some subtle (very short release and low ratio/high threshold) sidechaining on the kick.

Also playing notes that aren't too high or too low makes a difference.

do you know any kick samples or sample packs that short like you've mentioned ? i use vengeance but they not clicky and carry too much bass on them i feel ?

do you know any kick samples or sample packs that short like you've mentioned ? i use vengeance but they not clicky and carry too much bass on them i feel ?

It's really simple and easy to make any kick shorter in your DAW: just chop a bit off the end and add a little fade out.

Or speed up but keep the same pitch.

Then if you want it a little more clicky you can cut some of the kick's sub region using an EQ, but I wouldn't go too crazy- they're not radically different kicks, just a smidge more like a dnb kick or something.

Last edited:
Back