Old Boss DR550 Drum Machine

kvmoore

Hi to all.

I was wondering if any of you had experience with both the old Boss DR550 drum machine from the late '80s/early '90s and one if it's successors (DR660, DR770, 880, etc....) or the more advanced Roland models of the time (R8, R70, etc...)?

I have a DR660, which is my first drum machine from back in '98 and I also have the R8m module so I'm pretty familiar with those. There's a nuance setting on these machines that seem to effect the filter of the drum sounds, like the snare or hihats for example. I was looking at a DR550 mkI so I can sample it's sounds into my MPC (it has slightly different drum sounds from the others). However, I looked at the manual for the DR550 on the Roland website and found out it has a "color tone" parameter. It mentions that "color tone" effects the filter of the drum sounds in some way. So here's my question:

Does the "color tone" parameter in the DR550 affects the drum sounds the same way the "nuance" parameter does in the DR660, R8, etc....?
If not, what are the differences? How does the "color tone" parameter effect the sound in the DR550 compared to the "nuance" parameter in one of the other models I mentioned?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back