Novation's New Automap Update Features "Follow On-Screen Plug" Again!

Salem Beats

Ki from Salem-Beats.com
Like the title says.

They took this crucial feature out a while back so that they could wrap VST3 plugins properly. Now, it's back! Finally, I can simply click on a plug-in's GUI to bring up the mappings for it on my keyboard.

Exciting news for Automap users.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I was thinking about getting one of these baords until I read all the negative shit about Automap. I'm a pro tools user and was leaning towards getting an axiom pro instead hoping that it might intergrate with pro tools better than the novation.

Would you recommend a Novation controller with Automap for a pro tools user over the axiom pro?

I was thinking about getting one of these baords until I read all the negative shit about Automap. I'm a pro tools user and was leaning towards getting an axiom pro instead hoping that it might intergrate with pro tools better than the novation.

Would you recommend a Novation controller with Automap for a pro tools user over the axiom pro?

Automap isn't bad at all. It's actually really, really nice. Some people just expected it to make their coffee for them too, and whined when they realized that it won't do that. Most of the complaints are about retarded things, for example: "OMG the mapping for plugin XYZ iz so dum!" (Clear it out and make your own mapping for it then, duh. That's what most of us want to do anyway.).

With that said, they made a lot of changes to Automap a while back to accommodate both the new(ish) VST3 standard and dumb users.
Originally, you could click on the GUI of a plugin to cause Automap to select that plugin, but they took that feature out because of some VST3 compatibility issue and told users that they needed to close and re-open a plug-in's GUI to select that plugin in Automap. With the latest Automap update, they've brought back the old click-to-select behavior, which is awesome.
They used to have the "learn latch" feature accessible from the keyboard, but they took this away because some dumb users couldn't figure out when "learn latch" mode was active. The feature is still available, but can only be turned on from the Automap software itself rather than the keyboard.

The only "meh" things about these SL boards are the X/Y pad and the drumpads.

It seems reasonable to assume that Pro Tools would integrate very well with the Axiom Pro since they're both made by the same company. Still, if I was in your position, I'd go for the SL mkII because I can appreciate a premium Fatar keybed.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back