noob that needs advice pls

RaySwift

ok I got some beats that some local artists wanna buy and people from around the country that I met via myspace. Cats wanna buy my beats but all my beats are sample based from oldschool vinyl. what are the rules and regulations on this? any advice and help will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

1. You can not legally use any sampled material in this way without permission prom the copyright holder.

2. You also can NOT legally "replay" the stuff... Even though it is not a "sample" you would still be infringing on somebody's copyright. You have to make your own music. It can be "similar", but not so similar that it will be recognizable as you ripping this person off. You can be "influenced" as long as that influence does not amount to copyright infringement.

contact the owners of the rights to the song. they can cost alot, or sometimes free. it depends on a relationship. it's no different that artist using beats. the more famous the producer is, the more it will cost. if you use an agency, it will cost more.

for instance, I have a few friends who are amazing musicians, I have access to there entire catalog. I can sample everything from them. I consider them cowriters, so everything split. but no advance. but if i make money, they will. with them clearing a sample is easy.

but if i was trying to sample from a random record i found in a crate, that will be harder. i can try to use an outside agency, but they will cost. i can do it myself, but tracking down the owners can be hard. then trying to convince them to clear it might be harder and can cost.

but you wanted to sample without doing the research first. true you can hustle beats, but that's what it is a hustle. next time, if you want to sample, sample local musicians instead. people you can talk to.

yo thanks a lot dwells! also, what if i sampled well known artists like motown artists or any artists to that nature and give away the beat for free to local artists? if they make a dope track and decide to sell it, am I still held accountable if the sample police come after them?

I will be the bad guy...

You don't have any link so I can't listen to your stuff, but ask yourself honestly what the odds are of these artists making a good quality record on your beats that will get radio play or catch the attention of somebody important (like the copyright holder or any of their affiliates, someone at a label that can get yo sh*t heard, any other DJ, artist or person that will blow yo sh*t up, etc.)

If the odds are slim, just sell the beats and don't worry about the samples. If your music is good quality and you feel the artists will make some potentially hit songs, then do it legit.

The truth is, yeah you should clear the samples and do it right. But many of these transactions go down everyday. So if you're not talking about serious dollars per beat, go make some quick money.

Look at me on teh internets telling somebody to violate a federal law. Shame on me, now the FBI is gonna be calling again.

you be the judge of my beats. tell me if you think they are good. I think they are mediocre at best and I understand where your coming from. My beats are not really what I think majors are looking for anyway.

www.myspace.com/rayswift707

Look, you if your samples are not cleared, you can't sell the tracks without telling the buyer that they will need to clear the samples.

You are responsible for any lawsuits if you are fraudulently claiming that the samples are good to go free and clear.

You can't lie to people.

It is one thing to make a song for yourself with uncleared samples... But you can't lead someone to believe that your songs are clear when they are buying them from you.

what's the point in giving away songs you can't use for anything else? the songs are dead before they are even made.

what if im just giving them away?

If you mean you are giving them away in the sense of putting songs up on your myspace page with uncleared samples or giving them to friends, the most likely nobody will give a crap (even though it is still not "legal")...

If you mean you are giving them away to other artists to use in their own productions, then you still can't lie to them.. You still need to tell these people that the music you are giving them contains uncleared samples.

Back