Noob needing help in ableton!

akay47

Hey guys, I'm totally new to this forum and also kinda new to producing. I really hate working with the metronome or having a pre-set 4 bar clip to create my melody in. What I want to do is to create a melody with my midi keyboard at my own pace and THEN turning into 4 bars so I can loop it easily. Is there any way I can do this?

Thanks a lot.

Yes.. You simply record straight into an empty slot in the session view (clip slot) by using the round button (record). Now it will just keep recording until you hit stop, making the clip longer and longer as you go.

You can also turn the metronome off, and just tap the tempo to whatever you feel. But if you do this when you already recorded something then notes will be stretched to match.. So it Mig not work the way you want to initially.

Last edited:
Yes I understand this, but if what i have recorded is more or less than 4 bars is there a way to adjust that? If it doesn't fit exactly on 4 bars it makes building the beat a lot more complicated..

Yeah you can just double click on the clip, and go down to the left corner where you have all kinds of settings for the clip, you can set the clip length, end and start there.

The closest I've come to doing that is recording the MIDI, flattening it then warping it to the right tempo. Of course you're stuck with an audio clip then.

Back