Noob at his best. House genre.

acid2k1

Hello guys,

Okay I have been using Fl studio for about 2-3months now so yes im a complete noob. I am learning each day reading guides, following tutorials and so on...

My question is i have a typical house melody but it doesn't sound like house. Its really hard to explain :P... Basically how do i make a melody or a beat sound like a house genre? or you could point me in the right direction please.

any other information or guidance for a noob like me is appreciated :P

Thanks guys!

Upload a sample of the music you're composing, and we will be able to give you more directions.

Some little tips are in the details. Around 128 BPM. Usually in a minor key. Usually arranged with an intro melody build up then a sick nasty drop! followed by more of these if you want. Just my noob input.

well if u want to make a house melody you need to listen to house tracks loads of them.
analyze them listen to how the instruments are used in conjunction to create a tension.
listen to roles of each sound instruments that are being played.
even the a tiniest of percussion instruments will have its own role to play in the track.
the most important part of producing your own music is music theory
no matter how many guides you go through it isnt a substitute for a music theory.
you need to understand the concept of intervals,chords,harmony
as hard as it may sound its just a matter of taking the effort to read it.
After that you may would be able to compose not only house tracks but any genre of music.

House is a pretty gigantic genre so we'll need to see some kind of example of what you mean.

The reason your track doesn't sound like a house track is because the synths you use aren't really particularly in the house genre you are shooting for. All in all, you have the generic Fl sound. Just listen to some house tracks you like and find inspiration through those! Listen carefully to each sound and ask yourself why you enjoy that particular sound so much.

Also, don't just imitate, try to give in your own twist or flavor. Like everyone says, just listen to a lot of house music.

Thanks for the comments guys. Here is somthing little i have done. It just doesn't sound house enough if that makes seance for an example like martin garrix new songs not animals, the way it sounds its got somthing that im missing. also trying to expand the song is difficult.

soundcloud . c o m /coreyrees/test

bare in mind I haven't used fl studio long. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I know what u mean acid! Im the same just cant get them to sound how i want it to! Try watching this guy on youtube called hunter synth might get u going in right direction.....

Thank you Cart very much appreciated! How long have you been learning? made any tracks or remix yet? :)

No worries! :-) iv followed his tutorials n they sound quite good! But then I like to try my own which dont sound as good! Haha! (Soundcloud Link is in one of my previous comments above)

Been learning about 5 months now but spend half of it on daw n half learning music theory! Getting better slowly! Just keep watching tutotials on youtube etc!

Back