newbie rapping help

R

rurokenji

hi guys,

I have recently been listening to rap properly and i want to strat making my own raps and stuff. I have some knowledge of techniques and stuff such as slant rhymes, pronouncing a word in the same sort of emphasis as the word before in order to create a sort of rhyme, that thing where (with you rhyme like 3 or 4 words out of one word in a previous line (can't remember the name of the technique). Anyways, i have got a few questions to ask

I will be using nas - state of mind as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4

This may sound like a newb question but it is something that has been bugging me for some time, now. I believe it is something to do with flow. With every line in rap, are you meant to carry out a new flow with the way the sentence is bought out. For example, 0.46 - 0.50, he goes
Or either on the corner betting Grants with the cee-lo champs (with a different type of flow/saying the sentence compared to the previous line)
and then the next sentence -Laughing at baseheads tryna sell some broken amps (also with a different type of flow/way of saying the sentence compared tto the previous line but still keeping the rhyme between amps and champs). Is this a normal thing? I ask this because i have noticed that this is quite common in rap. It's kinda hard to explain via txt.. I know i am prob sound like a newb.

I understand that there is no general rule in rap but it's good to have some basis.

Also, with rapping sentences/verses, how many words need to be used in a line, in order to sound like you are actually rapping? Or is it the flow that gives the illusion of the rapping flow and not the actual amount of words used in a line? I mean, i have heard raps where they use like 3 or 4 words in a line and just go with that. I need to understand the whole timing and 16 bars concept, i keep hearing people go on about.

Also, how do i produce the right flow? When i just try to rap off the bat, it just sounds really bland and like when you see people who have never rapped in their lives, try and rap but with such a talking base flow. I have tried making my own lines with the flows of other rappers. Everyone suggests that i just practise free styling to a beat, but how do you manage to find the flow to do so?

Is there anything else, that i need to know of? Like staying on the beat or anything like that?

Sorry guys for 101 questions. Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

this is a struggle that the greats find. i have actually great flow but can't stand hearing myself, feeling like my lyrics dont have that "official sound", and i let that hold myself back from ever releasing anything. I'm kind of a perfectionist haha but it works against me.

It'll take time to learn, so don't get too frustrated early on. Try memorizing songs and rapping along, it'll help with your flow a lot. Really, if you memorize NY State of Mind and can rap the whole thing, that'd be pretty impressive. Once you get the basics down, you can work on the subtleties of accenting and pronouncing certain syllables with extra attention, making your raps more rhythmic and not just a recitation. Also, make sure you rap with conviction, otherwise it'll sound terrible no matter what. There's my scattered random advice, haha, good luck!

Back