New to the game, looking to buy my first midi keyboard/mpc

vanlaz0r

I'm a musician and a huge fan of rap and hip hop, so I got a copy of Reason a few months back and started figuring out the program. I don't have any hardware, just an old laptop with a nice set of speakers. I've been using my laptops keyboard to come up with melodies, and then penciling them in to the program once i came up with something I liked. I've been at it for awhile and figure it's time to upgrade to a midi keyboard/mpc. I had an order placed for the Akai mpk 49, but after reading the reviews and learning that the pads are pretty much useless, I cancelled it and started looking around some more. It seems that if you want an MPC, you really need to a machine dedicated to it. I need a midi keyboard first and foremost, but if I can get an mpc as well without breaking the bank I will. Any recommendations?

yeah the pads on the MPK series aren't that great, they do have upgrades/fixes that improve the sensitivity a bit but that might be too tedious, since you would have to take the whole keyboard apart to install them.

If all you need is a midi keyboard just to play your melodies, then get something like the M-Audio KeyRig 49 only $99. Or for 50 bucks more you could get the M-Audio Oxygen 49/with the extra sliders and nobs if you need them.

If you want to add some drum pads to your setup, the Korg padKONTROL has some nice responsive pads, $169.99.

Both the M-Audio KeyRig 49 together with the Korg padKONTROL will only cost you about $269, which would cost less than buying an MPK49

add $50 more if you get the M-Audio Oxygen 49, which would still be cheaper than the MPK49.

Thank you! I just ordered the M-Audio Oxygen, I'll definitely be looking into that pad after my next paycheck.

Back