new to recording wit bass guitar

D

danielsonWC

would i still need a amp? or just hookin it up to a multitrack recorder would b good?

If the sound is loud enough and it sounds good to you, then it doesn't matter how you hook it up.

homie, you should direct your bass'es signal thru preamp. otherwise you'll get rather noises, instead of what you wanna record

what should I look for when buying a Bass guitar

i've been playing, well learning bass for the past 5 years. I still have my 1st bass but after playin in the guitar center so much, i've grown bored with the feel and sound of my bass and i'm lookin to purchase another. Specifically, i've come to fall in love with bass guitars that sound like these Masterminds and songs they played on. James Jamerson (Motown Records): 4 tops- benedette, marvin gaye- inner city blues & distant lover, jackson 5- darling dear, etc), Verdine White: Earth, Wind, & Fire)- Kalimba, etc, Curtis Mayfield (I kno he played bass but not sure exatly what songs)- right on for the darkness, check out you mind, doo doo wop is strong in here, etc and last but not leaset Lawrence Dickens (Willie Hutch)- Mack Man, Gimme some of that good ol love, theme from foxy brown, get down, etc. The reason I listed those songs is because I really love the Sound of the gutar and not just the way they played it or the sounds they made with it. I want that ruff, clean, solid, deep bass sound. Now that u have an idea of what I want, what should I look for when buying a bass guitar besides the feel of it, I want it to sound great based on the material its made of when i plug it up to an amp, any advice????????????

Look at James Jamerson's bass. It is an early 60s or late 50s Fender Precision bass with pickup covers. It has a rosewood fretboard, tortoise shell pickguard maple neck and a sunburst body, probably either ash or alder. Get the oldest bass you can find. The older basses and guitars have wood from older trees. The body is lighter and the tone is better. Of course feel has everything to do with it. That comes from your playing. Your timing, and playing.

Individual basses that you look at should feel right, they should tune up easily and stay in tune. They should have good intonation. There should be no noise in the electronics, although noise can be removed with proper wiring. The bass should have good sustain when played not plugged in.

you need either a direct box or a preamp with one built -in. If you just plug in, you'll lose a lot of the lows and highs due to an impedance mismatch. it's not the volume that you have to worry about, it's the impedance.

so i would i need a direct box or a pre-amp with a built-in direct box..right?
and no amp at all?
can i use this with a acoustic-electric guitar too?

danielsonWC said:
so i would i need a direct box or a pre-amp with a built-in direct box..right?
and no amp at all?
can i use this with a acoustic-electric guitar too?
Ya you can use a DI bos but a preamp with one built in is a better deal.

Dude honestly I would recommend Buying a Bass Effects Rack these days you can get amps, cabs, and all these Effects you need to get any tone you want, Check out Guitar Rig 3 you can use Bass as well as guitar on this or Bass PODXT from line 6 check it out.... Google Line 6

If you're looking for funk and Motown type tone you should go with a passive bass. Any of the Fender P or J basses will get you there. I have an Ibanez SR that I use alot cause it sounds great and it plays damn near like a guitar. My other bass is a 78 Fender Jazz and it hits classic sounds as soon as you plug it up. Even unplugged you can hear a big difference from the Ibanez. As far as routing goes I have a Tube preamp that I run into my interface for bass and guitar. For the Ibanez I run Bassbone/Preamp/Interface. The preamp is just for tube tone cause I like tube amps, the Bassbone is a great DI and has an EFX loop and Boost if you wanna use it. The Fender I like natural through the pre and I strung it with Flatwounds for Raphael Saadiq, Meshell and other Neo-Soul, RandB, or Motown type stuff. Any other effects I use are in the DAW, or for guitar I run stompboxes from an external insert. That's what I prefer but If I had it my way I would go with stompboxes and amps and just mic the amps. I just like live music better though and that's how I get close to it.

I have an Ibanez Sr300 and I'm also trying to get that James Jamerson sound but didn't want a Fender Bass ($1,200...naw not at the moment).

I'm going to buy a Line 6 XTLive for both my guitar and bass because if you run effects, cabs, amps through one piece for both guitars I'd say go with it.

Wow another old school thread but I ended buying a Line 6 Lowdown 150 Bass Amp and all I can say is I'm very impressed. I record my bass from the Lowdown Out into Pro Tools.

There is a little noise but when the whole song is playing you can't hear it. Plus with that 150, you can do live performaces in decent sized churches and clubs. You can go from a Motown sound to a thick metal jam that is similar to Victor Wooten.

He's right... I have a podx3, and you can do that. so they probally used some kind of fx, for the older songs... I would like to get that bootsie collins sound...

Dude honestly I would recommend Buying a Bass Effects Rack these days you can get amps, cabs, and all these Effects you need to get any tone you want, Check out Guitar Rig 3 you can use Bass as well as guitar on this or Bass PODXT from line 6 check it out.... Google Line 6

Last night I went to the Guitar Center to test out the Music Man Sting Ray..........unbelievable but you should focus on getting a really good amp and get the rack later like ol dude said.

Back