New to production

MLprojectm

Hello guys! I'm somehow new to music production but I'm not really new to music. I've been playing guitar for few years and started playing a bit of piano this year. But I won't be telling about myself here but I just want some reviews on my music to see if I'm on a right track. I mainly produce house/progressive house.

Here is the first song and I really want some feedback on it.

And here is a remix of One Republic's Apologize which I'm still working on so there is not any mastering or mixing done yet

Hope you like them!

For the first track; The intro is nice, maybe abit too long and needs a bit more interpretation/effects, if you know what i mean? I thought the bit from 1.00 - 1.30 was abit boring, would of preferred if you'd of came in straight with the melody you did at 1:30. Nice bass tone, not overly compressed which can happen with beginners. Nice melody, maybe a bit too repetitive, need more variety. Nice sound though, it's clean, which is good! 2:50-3:40 was boring if i am completely honest, perhaps a different melody there? A massive build up would of been cool even. Not bad though dude, would say needs more variety and you need to work on song structure. It's a clean mix though, which is great for a beginner.

Second track; Piano seems abit too weak on its own, you need to get some reveerb and perhaps a pluck synth behind it for the intro? I liked the build up towards the end though.

Not bad stuff though man, defo going in the right direction. I would say look at the song structure of the songs in your genre, see how they transition from each section of a track. Also try and work on making your tracks more 'full', this can be done through research on youtube if you like. Keep it up man :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I've heared many times the intro is a bit too long so I will probably end up cutting it a bit. What actually did you mean with interpretation and effects? Like adding more of FX's or something ? Well the track was orginaly planed to have vocals so that's why the "intro" at 1.00. About the compresson, I'm still learning stuff like that so it might not sound right always. The boring part is going to be changed in future with more variation. Thanks!

For the second track, yeah the piano sounds a bit weak. I'll be adding more layers to the intro soon, as I said the track is still in the works, I just feel like I should post it to get some feedback.

Thank you for your kind words! By the way, what did you mean by making the track more full?

By interpretation I meant like, changing it abit, adding more elements to it to make it build up more because atm its just one pace all the way. So like 4-8 bars of kicks and hit hats and claps, then add snares for the last 8 bars or however long you want it etc., and also add FX's when you bring in each new element.

That's cool man. By making the track more full, I mean by filling the sound so your tracks aren't weak. It's hard to explain as I don't really know the right terminology, but you want to make sure your levels are correct in the Highs, Mids and Lows, and that you're putting effects on in the mixer such as reveerb, delay & eqing so you can get your track to have a full sound with no empty spaces! (I hope this makes some sort of sense! :p )

Last edited:
i like the buildup in the first song up to the first transition, then the instruments being brought in sound really good too, all of it together make for a really cool track, and for the remix, what you have going there sounds pretty good so far, cant want to hear it when its finished =) and just in case you didn't see it, my song that you listened too had an update, but for some reason i can't edit my initial post anymore but yeah https://soundcloud.com/terielx1/answers-5/s-0fJ5s check it out and lemme know whatcha think

By interpretation I meant like, changing it abit, adding more elements to it to make it build up more because atm its just one pace all the way. So like 4-8 bars of kicks and hit hats and claps, then add snares for the last 8 bars or however long you want it etc., and also add FX's when you bring in each new element.

That's cool man. By making the track more full, I mean by filling the sound so your tracks aren't weak. It's hard to explain as I don't really know the right terminology, but you want to make sure your levels are correct in the Highs, Mids and Lows, and that you're putting effects on in the mixer such as reveerb, delay & eqing so you can get your track to have a full sound with no empty spaces! (I hope this makes some sort of sense! :p )
Alright I get it now! Thanks!

i like the buildup in the first song up to the first transition, then the instruments being brought in sound really good too, all of it together make for a really cool track, and for the remix, what you have going there sounds pretty good so far, cant want to hear it when its finished =) and just in case you didn't see it, my song that you listened too had an update, but for some reason i can't edit my initial post anymore but yeah - check it out and lemme know whatcha think

Thank you! I'll have a listen to your track soon!

Back