New to music production

FeatherW8

What's up forum, I just wanted to introduce myself and maybe see if some of y'all can help me get my foot in the door!

I'm Jack, I'm 20 years old and music is what I feel I should do with my life. It all started with my first concert, the Talking Heads when Iwas about two years old! Since then music has grown on me. I was born in Sacramento, CA and moved to Kansas the beginning of fourth grade. I took music class along with the rest of the kids starting us out on recorders. In fifth grade I played trombone and stuck with it throughout middle school. Also took private lessons outside of school and played a bit of piano too, but not a whole lot. I started listening to hip hop when I was about 10 or 11, I liked almost everything and I don't think there's been a single second where I haven't had a particular tune in my head.

I tried to hang up the hat on music in 8th grade, only to start writing and freestyling with the other kids in the parking lot at school sophomore year. Not a single day has gone by since then that I know of where I haven't written at least one line a day. Writing about feelings, situations, problems, everything. Then about three months ago, a friend of mine showed me his work on a trial version of FL and I thought I'd look at some free DAWs, download it and give it a shot! Played with LMMS for about a week to get that hip hop sound and it brought the same feeling writing brought for me. I can't stop! All I want to do is learn, practice, learn, practice.

Since I started making (attempting is more like it) beats, I have a much, much higher level of respect for producers than I did a couple years ago. I always thought it was just taking sounds and making a catchy rhythm. The more I started researching music production, the more I found myself here on the forums, reading and taking in all this info and thinking to myself "Holy shit, I haven't even scraped the surface."

I was always kind of a loner, never really had more than a couple friends, didn't go to parties, wasn't on the football team, whatever. All I cared about was music. I've been through some pretty deep ruts in my life, and music has always been there to pull me out. I never really had much confidence either, but when I rap some of my lyrics over a beat, every problem I've had just goes away. Same goes for making beats in a way. I've got a lot to learn, and with prior knowledge of music theory (given some I will have to relearn) I have faith that I can one day produce some fire beats and I believe I came to the right place any questions that may arise.

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel. Lol don't really know my way around the forums that so apologies if I posted in the wrong section. Peace!

Read the whole thing and your heads in the right place to get a good start.

But is there a question there that I missed?

Back