new to mixing with fl hints and tips please

youngandn

hello fellow producers and rappers, i do not get on here much but quick question im at work and i haven't much time throughout the day , is there any link or page within this topic where someone has a list of their own personal eq and compression settings in fl studio for vocals? im asking this question with complete comprehension that every voice is different, i simply need a starting point for the fl studio stock compression , eq 1 and eq 2 to save as a preset and tweak from there. i ran across a youtube tutorial years ago where someone did just that, and i had my presets saved, but since then my laptop and music has been stolen and i also want to know if there are any updated suggestions with respect to mixing vocals that have been presented on this forum somewhere with updated settings. anyone who can help with a link or anything with settings as such thanks in advance . i do not excel in the area of mixing mastering making beats rapping or hooks because i do them all so i just need things to sound well enough to put out. some of my recorded material can be seen here https://soundcloud.com/young-norri

hello fellow producers and rappers, i do not get on here much but quick question im at work and i haven't much time throughout the day , is there any link or page within this topic where someone has a list of their own personal eq and compression settings in fl studio for vocals? im asking this question with complete comprehension that every voice is different, i simply need a starting point for the fl studio stock compression , eq 1 and eq 2 to save as a preset and tweak from there. i ran across a youtube tutorial years ago where someone did just that, and i had my presets saved, but since then my laptop and music has been stolen and i also want to know if there are any updated suggestions with respect to mixing vocals that have been presented on this forum somewhere with updated settings. anyone who can help with a link or anything with settings as such thanks in advance . i do not excel in the area of mixing mastering making beats rapping or hooks because i do them all so i need things to sound well enough to put out. some of my recorded material can be seen here https://soundcloud.com/young-norri

Best I can tell you is to make sure your mids sound pleasant to the ear overall, don't EQ if it sounds good on it's own, add a few effects, and experiment. See what works.

well anything anyone can tell me is greatly appreciated. thank you for your input , anyone else send me your thoughts as well

Shouldn't FL have any factory presets on the different plugins as examples of what you can do to perhaps vocals or other elements? Go see if you may find any.

Personally I don't have any specific settings or presets that I use for vocals, but I can give you my target of balancing vocals.

As for compression I want a vocal that never is too loud nor too quiet in context with the mix. Vocals have a wide dynamic range, and that can make it a little difficult to set the right volume of them, since you perhaps leave the fader at a certain point and think it's fine, but then on a certain word it all gets too harsh and loud, so you cut the fader, but then everything else is too quiet. Or there's this one word that barely cuts through.
So use compression to tame the vocals and keep them smooth.
So set the threshold where necessary - perhaps on the level of that word that is too quiet, or at the average good level, and dial in desired amount of ratio to even out the vocals.

As for EQ, I usually sweep a narrow notch through the spectrum and remove all nasty single frequencies. Then I use standard sized peakfilters and do what's necessary. I often see if I can remove anything of the fundamental of the vocals without making the vocals thin.

Hope this helps.

very great advice thanks so much for the feedback i found a link actually that helped me with my starting point and im going to post it up a little later for i am at work right now. thank you once again every one and to the last person who responded steffeeh

you gotta practice bro.. youtube search it .. and google search it.. and you'll get better through trial and error honestly

Back