new interface advice: tascam us-144???

mwandishi

I got an interface question. I just upgraded my computer (desktop) and apparently my new board does not support my old PCI interface. I had a m-audio audiophile 192 (M-AUDIO - Audiophile 192 - High-Definition 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with Digital I/O and MIDI), which is PCI based, but my new computer just has PCI express slots ( there is one pci e 16 that might work, but the video card is in there). So looking around there does not seem to be a pci express interface that's under $200 (us), but there are a few usb options. So I'm looking at the Tascam us-144mkii ( Product: US-144MKII | TASCAM) and wanted to know if anyone has used one and if it will give me equal or better performance as my audiophile. I know the audiophile is not an elite level interface, but it allowed me to connect my rack (s/pdif), monitors, and keyboard (1/4 stereo). I think the Tascam will allow me to do the same, although I might have to connect my keyboard mono instead of stereo.
If anybody has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Also, I should mention that I'm trying go to guitar center in the morning to grab something (impatience I know).
Thanks in advance!

edit--I'm looking at this focusrite too http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-USB-Audio-Interface-108264573-i2658350.gc

Last edited:
I have a tascam usb audio interface.Us-122 model.Tascam support is awfull.No drivers for win7 .So dont mess with this manufacturer and go for anything else!

I have a tascam usb audio interface.Us-122 model.Tascam support is awfull.No drivers for win7 .So dont mess with this manufacturer and go for anything else!
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't go that route.

I had an Audiophile 192, it's pretty elite in my book.

Anyways, skip the Tascam and head back to M-Audio for one of the FastTrack models.
Ya, I kinda mis the 192, but i decided to go with the fast track c400. Its doing the job but its picking up some low static from somewhere (not loud, but a little buzz here and there) and for some reason I can't get the S/pdif input to work. Anyway, I'll figure it out soon. Its taken a week to transfer most of my DAW stuff and I'm still adjusting stuff. Thanks again guys.

skip it

i'd pass on it. i got one a few years back as my first real interface after using one of those real beginner m-audio ones for a little bit. i was on a windows 7 back then and it was just horrendous. on a mac now and it looks like the drivers are working alright. well, it has been two or so years since the release. they shouldve worked everything out lol. but if i were you and you're shopping around for an interface and you're just starting out (why else would you be looking at that line anyway right?) i'd suggest just saving and getting a good one. just skip the ones that are like 2, 3, 400 and browse around for a more mid-grade one. rme babyface, apogee duet 2 are really good. the mbox 3 pros are supposed to be really good too. not too sure about the regular and mini ones but the pros are definitely good. they've been redesigned since pt is no longer chained to pt hardware. any of those three, i'd suggest. do yourself a favor and skip the tascam

Back