New and looking for some direction...

daftphunk

Hey guys, new to the forums. I used to lurk here years ago, but never got too serious about producing until recently. Anyways, I am a complete noob and have been reading whatever I can here and watching youtube tutorials, etc. to try and learn my way through this. I don't have much experience in anything music related (except for a Music Theory class a few years ago) but I was recently inspired and went out to go get myself an Akai MPK mini 25. Couple people suggested that it would be a decent midi controller for a beginner, and I am enjoying using it even though I hardly know what I am really doing.

Anyways, my main point is.. I am looking to get into beat making (hip-hop ish) but more so remixes and flips.

I like listening to a lot of different soundcloud artists, like say Esta., Sango, Stwo, Jefftuz, etc. and I really like how they take R&B songs and put their own twist to it, etc.

I'm currently using Garage Band because I've heard it would be easier to get into before diving into something like Logic Pro. I've been trying to read, watch and overall learn the program and try to make it do what I want to do but... nothing I have watched so far has really helped me out? Most of the 'remix' videos I have watched on YouTube just take segments out of songs and do some distorting, etc. but nothing thus far has shown me, or directed me, to where I want to be headed.

So I'm here now looking for some advice on where to to start because I sort of feel a bit lost right now, haha.

Feel free to let me know if I have made some poor decisions in my midi controller, DAW, etc. I have a lot of free time since I'm not in class right now and I figured I would dedicate it to learning a new craft and this is something that I have always been very interested in.

Coming from someone who started off using Garageband for recording, I would say take the plunge and start learning Logic. It's similar to Garageband, but Logic will give you so much more possibility and things you can do. It will take some time to fully learn and get comfortable with the program (as all DAWs do), but it'll be very worth it in the long run. Trust me.

The only other advise I can give is to keep working and keep learning. Mess around and play with your DAW as much as you can. Make beats. Watch tutorials on things you don't understand and try to incorporate what you learn into your beats. Learn music theory. Critically listen to the artists you like and see how they do their music. Practice. Practice. Practice. There's always something new that you can learn or ways to get better.

^ Thanks for the input from both of you. I went ahead and abandoned GarageBand and purchased a copy of Logic Pro. Thinking that the tutorials and what not available for Logic will be a lot more readily available.

Does anybody that has used GarageBand know exactly where the 'additional content' is stored? I found a couple locations via google, but it doesn't account for the 10+ gbs of content that I had to download.

Back