NEW: AKAI Analog Drum Machine == Drum machine + Bass synth $199

Griffin Avid

Media Editor
External links: Akai's $199 Analog Drum Machine with Bass Synth: Rhythm Wolf Details - Create Digital Music
RhythmWolf_1200x750_web-640x400.jpg
"
Remember when a $200 budget used to buy you a metronome and flight case, if you were lucky? Now, you have a range of great synths you can choose from. And now it’s Akai’s turn.
The Rhythm Wolf is an integrated analog groove box – a 32-step sequencer, an analog drum machine, and a bassline synth in one. And it’s just $199 street. We’ve got all the details on the box, and should have more hands-on impressions later this week.
The drum machine
Along the bottom are six “genuine MPC pads” – the important thing being that they are, Akai confirms with CDM, velocity sensitive. (Though sequencing those velocities is greatly simplified. “Genuine” seems to apply to things that are pads, are suare, and are made by AKAI – but this is still way more than most drum machines give you even at higher prices.)
There are tune knobs for each part, too.
Kick, snare, hat (open/closed), and “percussion” parts. Percussion covers the “metallic” range – sadly, no clap here, techno/house fans. (Akai does promise “hip hop”-inspired sounds, so … well, we’ll have to hear that.)
The synth
The synth bass doesn’t give you too many controls, as it’s wedged into the side of the drum machine. But you do get a square or saw wave, plus a “classic filter design,” with cutoff and resonance, plus tuning and envelope controls.
The pattern sequencer
32 steps with swing. Select patterns, adjust tempo. You can also program in steps via an x0x-style layout.
In fact, all in all – and I want to look more into the functionality here – it’s really the sequencing functions that appear to set the Rhythm Wolf apart. Akai has gone with simplified MPC-style programming, with performance and step recording and even a copy function. That’s not in itself unprecedented, but it’s pretty eye-opening on a $200 box that’s both a drum machine and synth. Add in velocity sensitivity, and you can do things with this box that most inexpensive drum machines can’t (or certainly not without an external input device).
The I/O:
USB MIDI
MIDI in, MIDI out (nice to see that, absent on the low-end KORG range apart from mods – meaning you can plug in other inexpensive gear, too, like, oh, say a volca or a MeeBlip)
A gate trigger, so you can connect analog gear
Two separate mono outputs – one for the drum machine, and one for the synth
Howl at the moon…
There’s also a knob-controlled analog distortion. Effects and so on you’ll have to provide yourself (though having separate synth and drum outs should help), but distortion could be a nice touch as far as adding character.
I asked Akai Germany to clarify some features – and it turns out that the pads and sequencing really do add a lot.
CDM: Can you sequence external hardware with the 32-step sequencer? (either over MIDI, USB, or both?)
Akai: Yes. USB and MIDI.
Are the pads velocity sensitive?
Yes, the five pads below the instruments are velocity sensitive. The internal sequencer is able to handle three different layers (values).
There’s one mono output from the drums, one mono output from the synth?
Yes. But if you want to lose your warranty you might want to modify it to get more outputs
icon_wink.gif

Ed.: I’m assuming that last bit is unofficial, but… erm… yes, I will make sure we get generous loan terms from AKAI when CDM gets ours to test.
“Howl” knob – this is a sort of overdrive?
Diode based distortion (preliminary – might change). All analogue as well.
Stay tuned…
No word yet on whether I can chain these together into a Three Wolf Moon. In fact, I’m not sure even how much we get to see in person as there were none in the AKAI booth yet as they were setting up (though I will get hands-on with the new APCs, which are stunningly small). But we have a supply of alcohol near the AKAI/InMusic booth and several days, so who knows what I’ll get out of the product reps by the end of the week.
akaipro.com"
----------------------------------------------------------------
News - Akai's analogue drum machine & synth revealed

Akai's analogue drum machine & synth revealed

$200 Rhythm Wolf announced ahead of Musikmesse

No one really saw this coming. Akai Pro, famed for making MPCs, controller keyboards and Ableton Live controllers, releasing an analogue drum machine and bass synth with built-in sequencer. And allegedly all for under $200! If it turns out to be an 808/909 and a 303 all in one, they could have a massive hit on their hands.

We got a quick look at a pre-production model at the Musikmesse show today. More below...

According to Akai Pro, the Rhythm Wolf is an authentic analogue instrument that combines the coveted sounds of early electronic and hip-hop music with genuine Akai Professional workflow. Inspired by the classic analogue beat machines and synthesizers of the past, Rhythm Wolf enables today’s musicians to harness iconic analogue sounds for music production and performance. The drum machine consists of five highly-tweakable drum sounds and includes a kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion. Meanwhile, onboard controls allow users to customize the tuning, amplitude envelopes, and volume of each drum voice separately and in real- time.
The bass synthesizer features a selectable oscillator (sawtooth or square wave), classic filter design, a filter envelope with variable decay, and is capable of creating powerful bass sounds and squelchy leads.
Akai Rhythm Wolf Analogue Drum Machine and SynthOutfitted with six genuine MPC pads and a built-in 32-step sequencer, the Rhythm Wolf provides a responsive interface with a classic drum machine layout. Drum patterns can be fine-tuned using the Swing function, Pattern Select, and Tempo Control knob.
A custom distortion signal path, activated by the appropriately named 'Howl' knob can be used for additional tone shaping.
The Rhythm Wolf also features independent audio outputs for the drum machine and synth bass so they can be treated separately, and it should also fit neatly into any vintage or modern studio setup thanks to the inclusion of USB-MIDI, MIDI In/Out and a gate trigger.
Set for a Summer release, the Rhythm Wolf has already got a lot of people talking. Keep an eye on the SOS Facebook, Twitter and Youtube for some footage of it in action from Musikmesse later this week!
www.akaipro.com/tradeshows/messe2014

It looks interesting, I just hope it has a half decent MIDI implementation unlike the XR20 (which is really an Alesis SR18) because you can't even change the pitch of a drum voice without menu diving on that thing...I just hope there is some way to automate what little controls the Rhythm Wolf has.

Back