need suggestions on some equipment (dj mixer/needle-cartridges)

TrulyX

I have about a $750 dollar or so budget at least until the next time I get paid and am unsure what way to go with equipment. i'm basically just starting out with djing. I had a set up of 2 Technics 1200mk2s and a Vestax PMC-05 Pro 3 a little over a year ago that I used along with my 2000XL to make beats. I ended up selling all my stuff without really having the chance to get into things on the djing side (needed the money). Now I'm getting back into things and am unsure what equipment to get.

Basically I just bought another MPC2000 and another pair of 1200mk5s and need some suggestions on how I should go with the needles and mixer. I'll be using the set up mostly for making beats and learning how to DJ (more scratching and stuff than mixing but a little both). So I want the samples to sound fresh, but also want a set up good for djing also.

I was as of right now leaning toward going with a pair of the Shure M44-7H for needles because I was using one for sampling when I got into shit originally and I know I like the sound (loud output and deep bass) and also that they are proven for hip hop djing. I just really wasn't sure about the other brands like Whitelabels or Concordes; about how they sound and how the stack up for scratching and not skipping or whether they are worth paying more for.

On the mixer side I'm a little more undecided. I was thinking originally about getting another PMC-05 3 because I could probably pull one of those and a pair of m44-7s for around $500 and that is right with my budget. There is just some shit that I don't like with that mixer. I don't like the 2 band EQ, I don't like that it doesn't have isolators/kills on the frequencies, and the sound was decent, but I know there has to easily be better. So I was thinking about getting either the Ecler Hak 360 or getting the Rane TTM56-s, but was wondering if it would be worth saving up or would it be overkill for me only being a beginner and mainly only sampling through it? Really wasn't sure on any other mixers.

So if I could get some advice that would be nice. What'd you'd recommend as far as needles/carts? Your thoughts on the mixers I mentioned or maybe one I left out the you'd like to add in as a possibility? And just as a bonus, if you feel like it, you can recommend some headphones and some studio monitors, because that is what I'll be looking to buy once I save up some more cash.

If your gonna cut and just sample records, go with the M447s. If I were you id go with Rane. If you know how that mixer is, you already know. Im not gonna break it down. Ive been using a Vestax for 13 years, switched to a Rane a couple months ago and never looked back. The sound quality is way better and the faders actually made me cut better after cutting with a PCV fader for years. Put it like this, Vestax is a PC and Rane is a Macbook Pro IMHO. lol

ortofon q bert carts, i love them! can't go wrong! :)
def go the rane as RaySwift said, i've just sold my vestax's, old technology...

ortofon q bert carts, i love them! can't go wrong! :)
def go the rane as RaySwift said, i've just sold my vestax's, old technology...

+1 on the Ortofon QBert carts. Got a set few weeks back and by far the best I have ever used. Loud, stable and solid.

I got a Stanton 12 mixer recently very nice with the interchangable filter/effectsmodule great deal from Gumtree. Did consider RANE but couldn't justify the price.

Get RANE if you can.

The Behringer would be a cool if he was gonna be strictly mixing but since he's looking for something just to scratch, sample and maybe mix a lil bit, u can find Rane 56s for pretty cheap on craigslist.

Back