Need pointed in the right direction

wilson.1

Okay, long story short.

I've been into music for as long as I can remember and have always been fascinated with production and how music is made. I've been trying on and off for the past 5-6 years and gotten nowhere. I've came to a point where I feel like I should just give up but being only 24 it is still something I would really like to do.

I'm going to try and explain what I feel is the problem and hopefully some very nice people can point me in the right direction.

I would say im a beginner with intermediate knowledge, I've been learning for years but done absolutely nothing with all this knowledge. Now when I open up my DAW (FL Studio) and have a blank canvas in front of me I just don't know where to start, it's not so much that I don't know how, just that nothing comes to me. I would say im comfortable laying down drums, claps, hats etc, what I would call the backbone of the track. Where I hit a brick wall is the melody's, chords, pads and things along those lines. I'm happy tweaking synths for the perfect sound, getting the levels of a bass right, and tweaking things until they sound right but when it comes to using the piano roll I just can't seem to make a melody or anything. Now I'll be honest here, I haven't learnt any music theory which I know in this situation would definitely help and I will be looking into it but im not tone def and everything I put into it just sounds all over the place. I could have the perfect sound from my synth but I can't do anything with it. I've looked at other peoples midi files and tried looking at how they arrange them but that doesn't seem to help. I will also add that I don't have a midi keyboard, it's all point and click which isn't giving me the chance to quickly try and play something before laying it down which again I know would help. All I seem to be doing lately Is opening up FL Studio, chucking in a bass, kick etc, then I get to the piano roll and nothing, so I close FL Studio down until the next time and then same thing....

Any help would be hugely appreciated, even if it is pointing me in the direction of very basic music theory, the last time I looked at it, it just looked really complicated. I'm not dumb but reading about majors, C sharps, Triads, Chord progressions and the rest gets on my nerves when really I want to be in my DAW making music.

Im using a PC
Im trying to produce: Progressive House, Electro House, and the harder side of music (Hardstyle, UK Hardcore)

So much for the long story short, sorry :)

Thanks in advance for the help

Back