My monitors are done for!!

mguz11

So after years of having the m audio av 40s they finally blew out and took a big ole shit on me. I needed an upgrade in monitors anyways. My budget is $400 max. I read up on the krk rokit 5s and the m audio bx5. Those seemed decently priced and had good reviews. Would either of these monitors be a wise decision? I mix and produce mostly hip hop. Thanks for reading!

Try looking used. You can probably find far better speakers for that price used.

Here's my feelings on the BX5's (Not the new generation.. the last gen)

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...hardware/yamaha-hs50ms-vs-maudio-bx5s-425521/

MAudio in general has a reputation to me for being more "market/sales" oriented than being engineering miracles for mixing music. Same goes w/ KRK Rokits. Please read the forums on these. The topic pops up once a week.

If you need to mix (which I personally think every producer does) in short, i'd stay away from both models and try to grab some more accurate monitors. These two are well-known to overhype certain parts of the frequency response and make it more difficult for you to accurately mix your music. They do this on purpose, it's a marketing technique and it makes professionally mixed music sound GREAT... but it also in turn makes unmixed music sound better than it truely does... and when you go to pop your CD in the car or elsewhere it doesn't sound good at all... b/c you were essentially mixing with a blindfold on. Grab monitors from a company that is more respected for mixing.... Yamaha, JBL, Event all have monitors in your budget. Utilize the used market like Obi said... eBay, craigslist or Guitar Center's used gear webpage. I got my pair of Yamaha HS50's for $200 on ebay. They sound amazing compared to my old BX5's.

As far as quality control goes... i've owned 7 pieces of MAudio gear since i've been producing: (BX5's (new), MobilePre (new), Firewire410 (used), Radium49 (used), Oxygen 25 v2 (used), Keystation Pro (used), Uno (new). I don't know how much money that is spent on MAudio... but I have 0 of these items in service right now lol. They've been replaced with better quality equipment for the EXACT SAME PRICE. I didn't upgrade.. I side-graded. Think about that for a second. The Firewire410, Radium, Oxygen, and Keystation Pro all had issues. The MobilePre was trash but I got sold at the store b/c i didn't konw any better. The BX5's have been demoted to reference monitors in place of the HS50's. The Uno was the only piece of gear that I would buy again if I needed quick extra midi port to record from a midi keyboard that doesn't have USB. In retrospect, I also have the following used products: Novation SL mkii, Presonus Faderport, Presonus HP4 headphone amp, Echo Audiofire 4 interface, Korg padKontrol, Korg Kaossilator Pro. Only the HP4 headphone amp has an issue where one of the amps has blown. everything else works fine. Well-built equipment does not normally break down.. to say the least. If you buy well-made equipment, there's a very good chance you'll be fine.

To MAudio's credit... I hear good reviews only about the Profire 610 and 2626. But even still.. some people complain about the drivers. I'm personally done w/ the company. I'd advise to not get sucked in to what your friends have and to read reviews on forums like this and gearslutz instead of reading reviews on just guitar center, sam ash, etc. Read from people who have experience w/ better gear and who know what their talking about. You will not find too many good reviews and either of these monitors. Just "they get the job done... but they're all i've had.. i had to learn them before i started getting decents results but i still need better monitors". That's the normal review. Anybody who's worth their salt who says they are good enough... is also going to mention that they learned their monitors through and through and have upgraded acoustics.

Last edited:
+1 to CPhoenix' very thorough post above. Also, I would look at new and used Tannoys, and, have you considered unpowered/passive versus powered? Also, if you are really on a budget, have you considered replacing the speaker(s) in your M Audios? (You didn't define the problem, but if it's not the amp, speakers are usually pretty easy to replace).

GJ

^funny thing is a meant to mention I hear Tannoy's are good for the money as well. Looks like I didn't need to lol, thanks for adding to that.

I also forgot to say wha the issue was w/ the MAudio Firewire410. The driver caused a pop in audio on a system that should NOT have pops/clicks recorded. Unacceptable. I ditched it immediately. Also... the latency on that unit was higher and audio performance got unstable below 256 block size. The Audiofire4 I switched to (close to the same cost) goes down to 128 with no problems (including an honest load of VSTs).. and even 64 sample block size. For super large projects.. i'd have to increase to 512 where I can definitelynotice latency on he FW410... the audiofire4 never has to be set higher than 256 for me... and i can only hear latency if i'm recording audio, which i'm no longer going by the time i have so many instruments that i need to bump from 128 to 256.

Just sharing this with you to illustrate that your money can go further than you think if you buy the right gear upfront. All gear isn't created equal at the same price.

I have a 610 I love. Great interface. As for monitors I've never heard a bad thing about the Yamahas.

Back