My introduction and please help out a newbie

janbach

Hello everyone,
I am Jan and English is not my native tongue.
I think that everybody has a humble beginning, which I do. I have little knowledge of music production. That is why I come here to get to know you and hopefully learn something from you.
First I would like to introduce myself:
I am a pianist keyboarder and organist. So I work mostly with MIDI. My genre is mostly pop / rock ballad, but dubstep hybrid / crossover is my goal right now.
So far I have tried Cubase 5, Reaper and FL Studio 11. I worked with Reaper most often but my Reaper is just crackling when I first loaded it. I always have to load it twice. Therefore I have doubts. I use ASIO4all
I recorded some vocals on Reaper which work quite well.
Unfortunately I can not get my plugins being recognized at FL Studio 11, so I never use it for a real project other than try it out.
I have searched the forum using advanced search modus for DAW topics, but could not find any that specifically match workflow with which DAW.

My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.
Hardware: (Laptop) CPU: 2 x AMD E 450 APU with Radeon Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Harddisk with 5400 /min
Interface: M-Audio Fast Track ; PreSonus Tube V2 Preamp
Condenser Mic: M-Audio Nova

I would like to work with MIDI and VST Plugins for the instrumental part and keep the audio track only for vocal.
In the near future I would like to work with Melodyne to manipulate the vocal track (s)

My workflow: I recorded the instrumental accompanyment first (mostly piano track) on MIDI
Then I recorded the vocal
I have never worked beyond three tracks and want to add complexity to the arrangement so that it reach the level of most contemporary production.

I am looking forward for a friendship and wish you a great day. Thank you for reading my post. I will highly appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of music production.

If Reaper is crackling try changing your buffer size. You say you're using ASIO drivers, but are they the manufacturers ASIO drivers for your specific Interface? If not go download the correct drivers for your Fast Track from M-Audio's website. In order for FL Studio to recognize your plugins you must go to Options > File Settings > VST plugins extra search folder and add the folder that has your VSTs that aren't being recognized. Once you've added the folder go to Channels > Add one > More... > Refresh > Fast Scan (recommended) and go down the list selecting every plugin you'd like to have access to.

In order for you to add complexity to your songs, you're going to have to practice and be creative. It's going to take a while before you're able to find yourself using a large number of instruments and sounds in conjunction with one another to make a track that feels complete. Wish you luck and I advise you stick to one DAW for now. Choose between Cubase, Reaper, or FL Studio and get a thorough understanding of all the features available to you in the DAW of your choice. Seems like you're using Reaper, so stick with that and learn everything you can about it.

Back