My first piece (F4F)

ImSpartacus

So here it goes,
Pretty much new to everything. New to beat making, made my account for the forum today(after some lurking), new to making music on the computer. My musical background is more in physical instruments, and after one of my boys suggested that I pick up Ableton, I taught myself a few things and over the course of 3-4 days (and a few loops that will never see the light of day), this was the outcome. I'm used to having band-mates and fellow musicians to bounce my stuff off of, and I'm hoping that you guys can kind of fill that gap and give me some constructive criticism.
This is my first piece, and I know that I have a LOT to learn, it just felt great to make music again after a couple years of silence.
I'm looking for the real truth here, guys. If you aint feelin it, let me know. If you like it, tell me something to keep me motivated during my next piece.
And of course, F4F.

For your first shot on a new piece of software it's not bad. The first organ melody is a bit off putting, the second melody is a bit better. The rolling snares throughout sound a little off measure, I wouldn't have put them through the entire beat. The horn ride is good, but yeah the second organ melody piece/bridge to the hook is the best part of the track. Keep it up.

Check one of ours - https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-give-receive-feedback/fmg-honey-jack-467157/

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree about the snares, definitely something to keep in mind in the future. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Agree on the organ, doesn't seem to fit well in the mix. But you may be able to have it fit better if you practice with general mixing. The snare is tight but needs to be brought up. I like the orchestra, but the face that it's panned pretty hard to the right the entire time and the organ on the left is a bit fatiguing. Also on the organ, the playing in general should be tighter. I like the brass part, but I would maybe choose a different brass sound.

Overall, the mix just needs some work but its a great piece. I know starting new software can seem daunting but good job! Keep it up.

Back