My first HQ video using the Canon Rebel T3i

looking good man!

heres my $0.02.
Stabilizing shots... try to find a way to stabilize your shots when you're walking. a good tip is to keep the camera on a tripod and hold that out away from your body when walking... the idea is that your arms work like suspension and take away some of the bumps and shakes. this is assuming you do not have a budget to rent or buy a stabilizer like a "glidecam"

Locations... scout some really cool looking locations that you can shoot in. to me it looks like this was filmed in someones basement and then the area immediately surrounding the house. try finding a graffti'd up wall, or an alley, inside a car, on a street, inside a club etc etc. whatever your video treatment calls for

Treatment... have a written / sketched out idea of what you are trying to shoot before hand. write the basic story line you are going for, some shots you want to get and the locations

Angles... try different angles instead of doing everything facing your subject. some stuff from the side, down low, up high, up close, far away. be creadtive with where you're shooting from

Lenses... Rent lenses from a camera shop. it looks like you used one lens for the whole video, likely the stock one. The goal of using more than one lens is to make it look like there's multiple different looks. The standard lenses I would rent are a 50MM and a wide angle... anywhere from 10MM to 15MM. Rentals are usually really cheap for a weekend, around 50bucks for 3 days with 2 lenses.

Make your video edits in sync with the beat. Cut from one scene to another when your kick or snare hit. doesnt always have to be on the kick or snare but it helps when the visual is timed perfectly with the song.

make your cuts shorter. this is the #1 thing that i see new editor/directors doing in there music videos. the scenes / cuts go on for too long. to make the video exciting its gotta be fast. if I don't see some cool fast cuts in the first 30 seconds of the video, im prolly gonna stop watching. keep in mind peoples' attention spans are very very short nowadays

color, tone and contrast... this is the hardest thing to get right. spend some time in your editing program and learning as much as you can in video production forums. you need to make the colors pop more and the darks darker. you need to edit the color levels in whatever video editing program you use.

Lighting... this is hard to get down. a lot of times you dont realize you have a shadow on someones face, or something is not in the right color of light and you dont realize until you're done shooting and you're trying to put it together in editing. read forums or watch videos on youtube for lighting tips..

subscribe to Film Riot's channel on youtube. you'll get a ton of good info from them.

Watch Matt Alonzo's music videos. he is a super talented director and editor thats worked for some of the biggest names in hip hop

looking good man!

heres my $0.02.
Stabilizing shots... try to find a way to stabilize your shots when you're walking. a good tip is to keep the camera on a tripod and hold that out away from your body when walking... the idea is that your arms work like suspension and take away some of the bumps and shakes. this is assuming you do not have a budget to rent or buy a stabilizer like a "glidecam"

Locations... scout some really cool looking locations that you can shoot in. to me it looks like this was filmed in someones basement and then the area immediately surrounding the house. try finding a graffti'd up wall, or an alley, inside a car, on a street, inside a club etc etc. whatever your video treatment calls for

Treatment... have a written / sketched out idea of what you are trying to shoot before hand. write the basic story line you are going for, some shots you want to get and the locations

Angles... try different angles instead of doing everything facing your subject. some stuff from the side, down low, up high, up close, far away. be creadtive with where you're shooting from

Lenses... Rent lenses from a camera shop. it looks like you used one lens for the whole video, likely the stock one. The goal of using more than one lens is to make it look like there's multiple different looks. The standard lenses I would rent are a 50MM and a wide angle... anywhere from 10MM to 15MM. Rentals are usually really cheap for a weekend, around 50bucks for 3 days with 2 lenses.

Make your video edits in sync with the beat. Cut from one scene to another when your kick or snare hit. doesnt always have to be on the kick or snare but it helps when the visual is timed perfectly with the song.

make your cuts shorter. this is the #1 thing that i see new editor/directors doing in there music videos. the scenes / cuts go on for too long. to make the video exciting its gotta be fast. if I don't see some cool fast cuts in the first 30 seconds of the video, im prolly gonna stop watching. keep in mind peoples' attention spans are very very short nowadays

color, tone and contrast... this is the hardest thing to get right. spend some time in your editing program and learning as much as you can in video production forums. you need to make the colors pop more and the darks darker. you need to edit the color levels in whatever video editing program you use.

Lighting... this is hard to get down. a lot of times you dont realize you have a shadow on someones face, or something is not in the right color of light and you dont realize until you're done shooting and you're trying to put it together in editing. read forums or watch videos on youtube for lighting tips..

subscribe to Film Riot's channel on youtube. you'll get a ton of good info from them.

Watch Matt Alonzo's music videos. he is a super talented director and editor thats worked for some of the biggest names in hip hop
Much respect for your honest review. I will definitely use the info you provided to make my next video even better.

Nice try! Good piece of information provided by skantabulitios.
I will appreciate your work and I think you can do better work. The video is good enough but you need to improve it.
You need to focus on the environment to make your video more attractive. Follow the mentioned tips and tricks to get better results

Nice try! Good piece of information provided by skantabulitios.
I will appreciate your work and I think you can do better work. The video is good enough but you need to improve it.
You need to focus on the environment to make your video more attractive. Follow the mentioned tips and tricks to get better results

Thank you sir!

Cool song. You got some cool shots too in the video but next time I'd make an effort to find more compelling locations and add some lighting!

I really like it bruh! One tip, try and keep the camera on somthing such as a tripod while u shoot. Be sure and keep it almost an arms length outward. that will help with the little bit of wobbleness. other than that i loved it! Also nice work on the track!

Back