multi mixer into interface vs multi interface?

dmajor100

Im planning on going old school and buying a mpc and using it to sequence my motif but wondering what will best suit my needs or what is the better solution to get the sounds in my daw. besides from monitering multiple hardware at once does a good mixer a good thing to have, i mean will it benefit the sounds going threw them or will they just create noise before going into a interface. I was also thinking of just buying the motu ultra light interface which has mulit inputs and just monitor the mpc and motif inside my daw until im ready track inside.

Some mixers do impart desirable qualities to the sound, yes. But usually it's the really high-end stuff that makes a difference in this department...but for most of the stuff within the reach of "bedroom recordists", I doubt it's worth it (unless deliberately going for lo-fi colored sound).

Well as far as multi interface in the price of 400 to 500 what would be a good choice with great a/d converts and okay pre amps, more converter than pre amp tho cause I just do beats. Was first thinking of getting a mixer and a deut 2 and just soloing each channel on the mixer while tracking each channel, very portable too and its a apogee

Focusrite & Echo make nice stuff as far as interfaces go. The Apogees are obviously nice, but I'm not sure if the difference is that big if you plan to plug everything through a low-end mixer prior to hitting the Apogee anyway.

Or just a regular multi input and moniter in my daw.

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

I actually plan on getting a mpc 3000 or 2000 xl and sample recorda drums so in ways i am looking for that lo fi sound.

Well yes - but it's not like there's that one lo-fi sound that's gonna sound wonderful and crunchy - most old cheapo mixers are just a bit noisy and dull. I'd rather just keep my signal paths relatively clean and dirty it up with some external effects rather than be stuck with something that *everything* has to go through.

Yeah, turntables don't output a regular line level signal so you need a phono preamp (not just any preamp) to amplify & add a corrective EQ curve (the RIAA curve) to the signal. The Numark will do just fine.

Back