MPC2000XL and PC integration via SCSI - WORKS!

JUKE179r

Expert Crate Digger
Weird schit today...

Just for shitz and grins, I hooked up my 2KXL to my old PC (WinXP SP3) SCSI to SCSI via my Adaptec PCI SCSI card. I found out that I was able to access the Microtech PCD-47B SCSI card reader drives on my 2KXL from the PC! The drive has 3 card slots which 2 slots with flash cards could be accessed from the PC (formatted by PC) and the third slot with a Compact Flash card was showing but I couldn't access it (formatted by MPC). Basically, I could edit/save/delete samples on the 2 flash card slots on my 2KXL from the PC via SCSI.
The other interesting part is that my internal 9GB partitioned laptop drive that I modded to the inside of my 2KXL showed up on the PC. I couldn't access it since it was formatted also on the MPC.
:hmmm:> :bigeyes: > :cool:

More to come....

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

*** This can possibley can work for older MPC's with internal SCSI card readers installed to connect to a computer for editing files! Try at your own risk!!! ***

Finally! I'm able to connect the MPC2000XL to a computer! When the computer is connected to the MPC's external SCSI port from the computer's PCI SCSI controller port, the computer recognizes the MPC's internal SCSI card reader. It’s a little more advanced than just plug and play like USB on the newer MPC's due to dealing with SCSI ID’s, connections and WinXP's program work-arounds to get it to work.
This is what I used to accomplish this:
1- MPC2000XL with an internally installed Microtech PCD-47B SCSI card reader
1- older PC (IBM NetVista M41/Pentium 4-1.8GHz/WinXP SP3/1.5GB RAM)
1- Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI controller card with DB25 SCSI connection
1- 3ft DB25 to HD50 SCSI cable
1- audio editor program

This is what I found with the 2000XL’s OS 1.14/1.14c:
WORKS GREAT
- With the MPC connected to my older PC, all card slots and flash cards on the MPC show up under "Devices with Removable Storage" in My Computer. The internal laptop HD I have installed in my MPC shows up under "Hard Disk Drives" in My Computer. I couldn't access the HD from the computer since it was formatted and partitioned by the MPC.
- From the computer, I can read, write, delete, rename, format, and defrag flash cards (is it worth it to defrag a flash card?) on the MPC as long as they were formatted on a PC.
- Loaded samples directly from the flash cards on the MPC and edited them with SoundForge and MPCEditor (should work with any music editor program). Saved edited samples right back onto the MPC’s flash cards. No problems!
- From the computer, I can transfer multiple files from one memory card to another memory card on the PCD-47B in one shot. Meaning this is without separately loading files onto the MPC and then saving each file to another card slot.
NEEDS HELP
- After booting into WinXP and then turning the MPC on, go to “Computer Management” and “Device Manager”, click "Scan for Hardware Changes". Doing this recognizes the MPC's drives and updates the information data for all the hardware connected to the computer.
- Flash cards/HD has to be formatted by the PC as "Fat" for both the MPC and PC to recognize it. The MPC will not recognize media that is formatted as exFat, Fat32 or NTFS (I didn't have an option to try Fat12 or Fat16). If the media isn’t formatted as Fat, the MPC will show “Type” as "???????" meaning unknown in the MPC's Load screen.
- Under OS 1.14/1.14c, media larger than 1GB will be partitioned into sections when formatted by the MPC. I formatted a 2GB CF card while in the MPC as Fat via PC and the MPC didn't recognize it. Going to try OS 1.2 to see if this makes a difference.

Being able to connect an MPC directly to a computer definitely saves time rather than swapping a flash cards back and forth between an MPC and the computer for advanced editing of files. I’m guessing that this should work with most internal SCSI card readers installed inside the MPC but all I have is the Microtech PCD-47B to test this for now.
More to come…

Last edited:
Does your 1000 have a SCSI port? :D
This info is specifically for the older MPC's with SCSI ports (that don't have USB or internal harddrives) to have computer access for editing files.

Last edited:
nice post dude... This WAS one of the major reasons I upgraded to a MPC2500 but since I still have my mpc2000xl, I will look into this! Thanks.

I would have tried this just to do it, but no longer have a computer with a SCSI port on it. Nice though.

Back