Mpc akai500 or 1000

Dresta187

Avid Crate Digger
k so i would rather not spend a 1000 dollars on the akai 1000 id rather just get the smaller akai 500

but wat are the differences and if i did get the 500 would it be a good machine to start on with.. because I've never used an mpc only been usin midi keyboard connected into logic.. simpleness but I'm
going to start usin an mpc but which one would be better to start with..

whatever works for you.. check out this site, i used it when trying to decide which mpc i wanted to buy.

go to the akai site, backslash "findyourmpc" or search that exact phrase on google. i can't post links yet but that site got some good info.

Don't buy the Mpc500,I had one,it's useless,you can't chop samples from it,you gotta have some kind of software to export your chops into the Mpc500,then export your tracks from the mpc500 to a computer to process them...And it's really a pain in the a** to do all that,believe me.
Get directly the mpc1000,much more useful.
But that's only my point of view...

^Never used a 500 did you?
I had an s900 some years back, and the 500 chops samples just like it did. I'd assume the mpc60, and mpc3000 also do chopping just like mpc500.
All of your favorite 90's hip hop was done this way. None of the old school samplers had visual wave editing until the mpc2000, and others from that time frame, 97ish.

You can "export" just like you did with samplers years ago by recording each track directly into a recording source.
Back then it was DAT recorders, and reel2reels. Soundcards/audio interfaces are what people use now.

The 500 is right in the league with the 2000 in terms of standalone features.
I can't really see it holding someone back.
No sampler can. Give me an old Roland ms-1, and I bet I could not do any better with a mpc5000.
You get more options with the high end models, but those options don't matter much anymore since any processing you could ever want being a few mouse clicks away in a daw.

You might ask, why not just use the cheapest sampler available then, and the answer is you probably could, and get by in a massive pro career using a $75 sampler, a cheap audio interface with freeware.

People just like to buy stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

To answer the question the 1000 has more features, pads, midi/audio ins/outs, etc.
$500ish should get you a used 1000.
Used 500's in the $300 range is common.

check out the akai website theres 3 new models Dropping SOON! and there all 10x better then the prev generations.

get 1k, memory upgrade then jjos, forget about 500 unless you wanna travel with your mp

akai is not bringing a new generation of mpc they bring a new generation of controllers.

While I don't personally know you or you're style, I can make a pretty good guess at what kind of aspiring producer you are and I would not recommend getting an MPC500, or any MPC for that reason. Logic has a great sampler and if you take the time to learn it you will be fine. The MPC is a step backwards from logic nowadays anyway, and provides no real benefit. You're not getting the "MPC Sound" people talk about from these new MPCs anyway. If pads are what you want to go just get a controller. Not trying to be mean but you have a perfectly good sampler at your disposal anyway. If you need help chopping/arranging there's lots of tutorials, there's even the famous Just Blaze logic sampling tutorial that will help. As someone who wasted 1K on a MPC 1000 who already had a software sampler, trust me and save your money.

the 500 brings it back to choping by ear rather then to look at the waveform as a whole its more ment for a dj rather then a uppaced beatmaker who wants things done on the flyy.. it takes alot of time to sit there and go threw the parameters and look at the small screen .. just go with a daw they do the same thing ..

Last edited by a moderator:
so is it a different way of chopping samples on an mpc rather then doing it on logic cuz honestly the way i do is weird .. first i find the tempo.. line the sample up perfect or as close as i can to the tempo clicks.. then chop wat loop i want or wat bars i want to use to sample with.. then make a track with the exs sampler and drag them in there and then use my mac keyboard and tap the samples the way i want them then add drums and watever else i wanna go with it.. is mpc choppin different?

MPC Chopping is kinda like that, but much slower. On the 500 it sounds like the old Akai samplers where you have to do it by ear and can adjust your chops numerically, instead of seeing the waveform. I had a 1000 and while it can be fun to chop that way and bang out the pads, you can do the exact same thing way faster on any daw. I loved sequencing on the MPC but in all honestly its not worth the extra time or money if you already have logic.

Back